If and when your anger turns to hate,
如果當你的氣憤轉化為痛恨,
please know that there is no space for that in our shared home.
請明白在我們共享的家園里沒有容納那些痛恨的空間。
But I will admit, fellow citizen, that I have discounted the burden of coping with the loss of status.
但我會承認,我的朋友們,我忽視了應對地位喪失的壓力。
I have forgotten that what is socially necessary can also be personally gruelling.
我忘卻了那些社會必須的也會成為個人折磨。
A similar thing happened with the economy that you and I share.
對于你我共享的經濟體,相似地事發生了。
Just as I cannot and don't wish to turn back to the clock on equality and diversity,
正如我不能,也不愿背視那平等與多樣性的時鐘,
and yet must understand the sense of loss they can inspire,
但必須明白它們能夠激勵的那種失去感,
so, too, I refuse and could not if I wished
因此,我拒絕,也不能夠去
turn back the clock on an ever more closely knit, interdependent world,
希望時光倒流回相互聯系,依賴的世界之前
and on inventions that won't stop being invented.
回到發明不斷之前。
And yet I must understand your experience of these things.
但我也必須意識到你們所經歷的這些。
You have for years been telling me that your experience of these things is not as good as my theories forecast.
你們多年來都在訴說你們經歷過的這些種種并不向我理論預測中的那么美好。
Yet before you could finish a complaining sentence
但在你們能夠訴說完
about the difficulty of living with erratic hours, volatile pay, vanishing opportunities,
關于生活的艱辛,異常的時間,蒸發的工資,消失的機會,
about the pain of dropping your children off at 24-hour day care to make your 3am shift,
關于將孩子寄托給全天托管班,為了完成凌晨3點的工作換班的痛苦之前,
I shot back at you -- before you could finish your sentence -- my dogma,
我就用我的信條--在你們完成訴說之前--駁回你們,
about how what you are actually experiencing was flexibility and freedom.
告訴你們其實你們經歷的是靈活和自由。