We create our "others." As parents, as neighbors, as citizens,
是我們創造了“其他人”的概念。作為家長,鄰居,公民,
we witness and sometimes ignore each other into being.
我們見證,有時也忽視他人的存在。
You were not born vengeful.
我們并非生來就復仇心切。
I have some role in whatever thirst you now feel for revenge,
我也飾演一些角色,無論你現在是多么渴望復仇,
and that thirst now tempts me to plot ever more elaborate escapes from our common life,
那些復仇的渴望感誘使我設計前所未有精密的路線,去逃離我們共同生活,
from the schools and neighborhoods and airports and amusement parks that we used to share.
逃離學校和鄰里,逃離機場和游樂場,逃離那些我們曾經共有的地方。
We face, then, a problem not of these large, impersonal forces.
之后,我們面對的不是那些遠大的非個人的問題,
We face a problem of your and my relations.
我們面對的是你我的關系問題。
We chose ways of relating to each other that got us here.
我們選擇了相互關聯的方式,讓我們走到了今天這地步。
We can choose ways of relating that get us out.
我們也可以選擇相互關聯的方式,讓我們脫離這里。
But there are things we might have to let go of, fellow citizen,
但我們必須放棄一些,我親愛的公民伙伴們,
starting with our own cherished versions of reality.
首先是我們自身珍視的現實視角。
Imagine if you let go of fantasies of a society purged of these or those people.
想像你們放棄那些對沒有這樣或那樣人的社會的幻想。