A nice woman cop came in and asked us 'please,' to sing quieter.
一個很和善的女警察進來說,“麻煩你們唱歌聲音小點”
Explained that they couldn't hear to process us.
解釋到太吵了他們沒法給我們辦手續
We quieted, pianissimo 'this little light of mine.'
我們安靜了,輕哼著“我的微光”
But impossible to keep it down, crescendo waves, fortissimo.
但是聲音不會消失,慢慢變強的音節直到最強音
The door opened, the policeman called a name and took a woman away for booking.
門開了,警察開始叫名字,帶走了一個女人去登記
When my turn came I couldn't find my ID
到我的時候,我找不到身份證了
'the big cell for you tonight.'
“今晚這間大的給你”
Tonight, overnight. I will be with criminals, not sisters trained in nonviolence.
今晚,只一晚,我會和犯人們,而不是非暴力示威的姐妹們呆在一起
I asked the cop across the desk from me, one prisoner and one cop per desk,
我問坐在桌邊的警察,每桌一個犯人,一名警察

a woman was shackled to her chair with old style steel handcuffs, couldn't be locked up because of illness,
一個女人被用老式的鐵手銬,綁在椅子邊,因為有病,不能被關押起來
I asked my arresting officer 'please bring my bag of possessions and let's go through it again carefully for my ID.'
我問逮捕我的警察,“麻煩把我的東西給我,讓我好好找找身份證”
Slowly he examined each thing.
他慢慢地檢查著每件物品
I talked story 'do you know what I'm working on now?
我開始攀談 "你知道我現在在忙什么嗎
I'm writing a book of peace.
我在寫一本有關和平的書
Once in old China there were books, reveries about how to end war.
在舊中國,曾經有書,有幻想要結束戰爭
Those books were burned, their authors tongues cut out.
這些書被燒了,他們的作者的舌頭也被剪掉了
My dream is to write such a book for our time.
我的夢想就是為現在寫出這樣的書
People who read it, I hope, will vow not to use guns, not to use cluster bombs.
人們會讀它,會發誓不再用槍支和集束炸彈