Ellie: I don't believe it. I just got off the phone with my mother and she dropped a bombshell.
埃莉:難以置信。我剛跟媽媽通完電話,她給我丟下一枚重磅炸彈。
Laurent: What did she tell you?
勞倫:她說什么了?
Ellie: She’s thinking of remarrying.
埃莉:她想要再婚。
Laurent: Are your parents divorced?
勞倫:你的父母離婚了嗎?
Ellie: No, my mother is a widow. My father passed away eight years ago.
埃莉:不是的,我媽媽是寡婦。我爸爸八年前去世了。
Laurent: Oh, I’m sorry. You don’t approve of your prospective stepfather?
勞倫:哦,很抱歉唐突了。你不想要有個繼父是嗎?
Ellie: Uh, don’t use that term. I don't like or dislike him. It’s just that my mother should not be remarrying—period. She should stay true to my father’s memory.
埃莉:呃,請不要用這種詞匯。我對他沒有感情或者說不喜歡他。我只是覺得我媽媽短期內不應該再婚。她應該保持對我父親的忠貞。
Laurent: After eight years?
勞倫:在八年之后嗎?
Ellie: Theirs was a picture-perfect marriage. How could she forget about it and take up with this other guy?
埃莉:他們的婚姻十分美滿。她怎么可以將這份感情拋之腦后轉而跟別人交往呢?
Laurent: Don’t you want your mother to move on and be happy?
勞倫:你不想讓母親向前看,過得開心一點嗎?
Ellie: By replacing my father with this new guy?
埃莉:難道要用代替我父親位置的方式嗎?
Laurent: I’m sure she’s not trying to replace him. She just wants a new love in her life.
勞倫:我敢肯定你媽媽并無此意。她只是想在余生開始一段新的感情。
Ellie: My father was the love of her life. This other guy is a pale substitute.
埃莉:我父親才是她畢生所愛。而那個男人充其量不過是個卑微的替代品。
Laurent: Can’t you just be happy for her?
勞倫:你就不能祝福她嗎?
Ellie: I’m never betraying my father’s memory.
埃莉:我永遠都不會背叛我的父親。
Laurent: Does that mean you’ll never marry?
勞倫:你的意思是你不打算結婚?
Ellie: Well, no, I can stay true to my father’s memory and still get married.
埃莉:呃,不是的,我忠于父親跟我結婚是兩碼事。
Laurent: So can your mother!
勞倫:你媽媽亦是如此!
譯文屬可可原創,僅供學習交流使用,未經許可請勿轉載