How do we build a society without fossil fuels?
如果不用石油,我們如何讓一個社會運轉起來?
This is a very complex challenge,
這是個十分嚴峻的挑戰,
and I believe developing countries could take the lead in this transition.
我相信發展中國家可以為這個改變起帶頭作用。
And I'm aware that this is a contentious statement,
我很清楚這是一個很有爭議性的說法,
but the reality is that so much is at stake in our countries
但事實是,如果我們國家的發展始終圍繞著石油,
if we let fossil fuels stay at the center of our development. We can do it differently.
國家就會承擔巨大的風險。我們能換一種發展方案。
And it's time, it really is time,
而且是時候,真的是時候了,
to debunk the myth that a country has to choose between development on the one hand
去揭穿這個所謂一個國家必須在一邊是經濟發展,
and environmental protection, renewables, quality of life, on the other.
另一邊是環境保護,可再生資源,以及生活質量中二選一的謬誤。
I come from Costa Rica, a developing country.
我來自哥斯達黎加一個發展中國家。
We are nearly five million people, and we live right in the middle of the Americas,
我們有將近五百萬的人口,身處在美洲的中心,
so it's very easy to remember where we live.
所以記住哥斯達黎加的位置十分的簡單。
Nearly 100 percent of our electricity comes from renewable sources, five of them.
我們所用的電力資源幾乎百分之百來自于可再生資源,一共有五種。