And so some time around 200,000 years ago, our species confronted this crisis.
大約二十萬年前,人類遇到了這一困境
And we really had only two options for dealing with the conflicts that visual theft would bring.
我們只有兩種選擇來解決觀察性竊取導致的沖突
One of those options was that we could have retreated into small family groups.
一個選擇是我們可以退回到小的家庭單位
Because then the benefits of our ideas and knowledge would flow just to our relatives.
如此一來我們的想法和知識僅僅在親屬間交流
Had we chosen this option, sometime around 200,000 years ago,
假如我們在大約二十萬年前的時候選擇了這個方法
we would probably still be living like the Neanderthals were
那也許4萬年前我們進入歐洲的時候
when we first entered Europe 40,000 years ago.
還過著尼安德特人一樣的生活
And this is because in small groups there are fewer ideas, there are fewer innovations.
這是因為小團體只能產生很少的想法和發明
And small groups are more prone to accidents and bad luck.
卻更有發生事故和厄運的傾向
So if we'd chosen that path, our evolutionary path would have led into the forest -- and been a short one indeed.
所以如果我們選擇了那條路,我們的進化之路就會通向森林,并且是短命之路
The other option we could choose was to develop the systems of communication
另一個選擇就是發展交流的系統
that would allow us to share ideas and to cooperate amongst others.
從而分享想法和相互合作
Choosing this option would mean that a vastly greater fund of accumulated knowledge and wisdom
選擇這條路意味著積累起來的海量知識和智慧
would become available to any one individual
向每一個個體開放
than would ever arise from within an individual family or an individual person on their own.
而不僅僅是單個家庭的或者個人的積累。