Our species can make stuff,
人類這一物種可以創造事物
therefore we prospered in a way that no other species has.
所以我們比任何其他物種都要繁榮先進
In fact, we can even make the "stuff of life" --
事實上我們甚至可以創造“生命本身的東西”--
as I just said, all the stuff around us.
如我所說,我們周圍的一切
But in fact, it turns out
實際上
that some time around 200,000 years ago,
大約二十萬年前
when our species first arose
當我們的祖先開始直立行走
and acquired social learning,
并獲得社會學習的能力
that this was really the beginning of our story,
這的確是故事的開始,
not the end of our story.
但不是結尾
Because our acquisition of social learning
因為社會學習能力的獲得
would create a social and evolutionary dilemma,
會令社會和進化陷入一個進退兩難的地步
the resolution of which, it's fair to say,
其解決方法
would determine not only the future course of our psychology,
不但決定了未來人類心理的軌跡
but the future course of the entire world.
也決定了整個世界的未來走向
And most importantly for this, it'll tell us why we have language.
最重要的是,它告訴我們為什么我們有語言
And the reason that dilemma arose is, it turns out, that social learning is visual theft.
兩難局面的出現是因為社會學習實際是一種觀察性竊取
If I can learn by watching you, I can steal your best ideas,
如果我可以通過觀察你而學習,我就可以竊取你最好的想法
and I can benefit from your efforts,
從你的努力中坐收漁利
without having to put in the time and energy that you did into developing them.
而不用像你一樣投入時間和精力去開發想法
If I can watch which lure you use to catch a fish,
如果我可以觀察你用什么餌釣魚
or I can watch how you flake your hand axe to make it better,
如何削薄手斧改進它
or if I follow you secretly to your mushroom patch,
或者偷偷跟蹤你去你的蘑菇地
I can benefit from your knowledge and wisdom and skills,
我就可以從你的知識,智慧和技能中獲益
and maybe even catch that fish before you do.
甚至在你之前就抓走魚
Social learning really is visual theft.
社會學習確實是種觀察性竊取
And in any species that acquired it,
任何具備該能力的物種
it would behoove you to hide your best ideas, lest somebody steal them from you.
必然都會隱藏自己最好的點子,以防別人偷走。