Track One
A lot of people, when I meet them here—the first question is:
我遇到的很多人,他們問我的第一個問題是:
"What school do you go to?"
"你在哪里上學?"
I am not a student.
我不是學生。
Ok what do you do? I work
哦,那你是做什么的?我在工作。
They say "Oh, you don't do business?" "No!"
他們又說,"哦,你沒有做生意?""沒有!"
So you came to China to study and then you found your job?
所以你是先來中國學習,然后再找的工作嗎?
"No. I came from Kenya to China for a job".
"不是,我直接從肯尼亞來中國工作。"
They go—"Oh that's interesting. Very strange."
他們感嘆——"哦,有意思,挺奇怪的啊。"
Sometimes the conversation ends there.
有時,我和他們的對話就在這里結束了。
You get to realise that a lot of people don't know there are a lot of African people here, who I have met, who are doing so many different things.
你得知道,不少人其實并不了解中國有很多非洲人,我認識他們,而他們也在做著各種各樣的事情。
Some in fashion, modelling, teaching—doing so many different things
有的人在時尚業,有的人是模特,還有的人在教書——各行各業的人都有
But the fact that we predominately have diplomats and students here
但事實上,我們中大多數都是外交官和學生。
It kind of lets people have this kind of preconceived ideas about Africans in China
這就是中國人心目中對非洲人的(先入為主的)印象。
A lot of people think she must be a student, or a diplomat or just somebody visiting to buy stuff.
他們會覺得這個非洲人肯定是學生、外交官或者買東西的游客。
Having been here this long I now see myself as a ‘third culture kid'
在中國這么長時間了,我早就把自己看作"第三文化小孩"
Kenya is home, China is home.
肯尼亞是家,中國也是家。
I do not have a permanent address yet—where I would say I want to retire
我現在居無定所,我也不知道我會在哪里退休。
I am a kind of person who is interested in travelling
我非常喜歡旅行
So I am taking this opportunity while I am in China
所以我要趁自己在中國的時候好好享受旅行
This is my time to travel Asia, to get to know different cultures, especially in Southeast Asia
這是我的亞洲之旅,我要借此機會了解不同的文化,特別是東南亞的文化
And so after China I do not know what is going to happen
所以,我不知道離開中國后會發生些什么
But, for now, all I know is that this is my home.
但是,現在我非常確定中國就是我的家。
And Kenya is my home as well.
肯尼亞也是我的家。
But I still have to figure out what is going to happen in the future
不過我仍然要搞清楚未來會發生些什么
As I still think I am quite young—so I still have time to decide what I want to do
我還年輕,所以我有充足的時間來決定自己想做的事情
Track Two
The only worries I have about staying here permanently is things like pollution
如果說要在這里永久居住,我唯一的擔心就是環境污染問題
Everything else love it!
其他的一切都很好!
Chinese people find it a bit strange that westerners want to come to live here
看到西方人想要居住在這里,中國人覺得有點奇怪
It also depends on what kind of westerners or foreigners they are talking to
這其實也要看對方是是什么樣的西方人
Chinese people are fascinated with black people
中國人對黑人尤為好奇
For most of them it is the first time they have come into contact
對大多數中國人來說,這是他們第一次接觸黑人
And ask so many questions like "Where are you from?"—especially the taxi drivers.
所以,他們最愛問的問題就是,"你是哪個國家的啊?"——出租車司機尤其愛問這個問題
Beijing—and they go "Impossible"!!
北京——他們說"不可能!!"
But I live here—this is my home—No, no,no!!
但是我住在這里——這是我的家——不,不!!
You are ‘meiguoren'?—No I am not an American I am from Africa
你是美國人?不,我不是美國人,我來自非洲
"Oh, I see. So which part of Africa?" "Kenya"
"哦,知道了。非洲哪個國家啊?""肯尼亞"
"So you run a lot?"
"那你肯定很能跑咯?"
"Yes in the gym!!"
"對,在健身房里跑!"
It is very fascinating about how they react to us foreigners
中國人遇到外國人時的反應其實挺有趣的
I have got a friend from Gabon, Luke Benza.
Luke Benza是我的朋友,他來自加蓬。
He is an actor, a martial arts person.
他是一名演員,也是練武術的
He has been here for over 30 years. Every time I meet him I still cannot believe he has been here for 30 years.
他在中國已經30多年了。每次我見到他時,我都不敢相信他在中國已經有30年了。
Right now, me being black and African is so fascinating.
對我來說,黑人和非洲人的身份是很奇妙的體驗。
I can only imagine coming at 14 and going to the Shaolin Temple for a year and a half
我只能想象14歲來中國,然后在少林寺待了一年半
What it must have been like for him.
那么對他來說,恐怕就是這個樣子的吧。
After China and Africa started doing business—right now if you went to Africa there are so many Chinese people
在中國和非洲開始了貿易往來后——如果你現在去非洲,你一定能見到不少中國人
In Kenya on the streets you see a Chinese person hawking phones, selling things on the street
在肯尼亞的大街上,你可以看到中國人在兜售手機和其他的東西
And then you find Chinese restaurants just mushrooming and buildings cropping up with Chinese writings on them
你還會看到:中餐館(涌現)到處都是,各種拔地而起的建筑上也都寫著中國字
And all the Confucius Institutes.
當然,還有遍地都是的孔子學院。