Dialogue 1
Mark: Hey, girl! Happy New Year!
馬克:嗨,京晶,新年快樂!
Jingjing: Back at ya, what are your plans for the big day?
京晶:你也是,你新年這天有什么打算嗎?
Mark: I'm going to my grandparent's house to have a big feast. Aren't you jealous?
馬克:我要去我祖父母家吃大餐,你羨慕吧?
Jingjing: Umm,no! I'm also going to my grandparent's home to pig out. On top of that, I will sing my heart out at KTV with my friends from my hometown.
京晶:我才不羨慕呢,我也要去我祖父母家大吃一頓。除此之外,我要和我家鄉的朋友們去KTV引吭高歌一番。
Mark: That sounds like fun. So are your grandparent's good cooks?
馬克:聽起來很有意思呀,那么你的祖父母做飯很好吃嘍?
Jingjing: Off the record, not really, but I don't have the heart to tell them. Besides, the New Year isn't just about stuffing your face with food, it's about being with your family.
京晶:私下跟你說,其實不太好吃,但是我不忍心告訴他們。況且,新年并不僅僅是要大吃特吃,最重要的是和家人在一起。
Mark: Well,my family member's are all good cooks. My mother's apple pie is finger lickin' good.
馬克:我的家人都是烹飪高手,我媽媽的蘋果派好吃得不得了。
Jingjing: Well, enjoy your New Year, and save me a piece of pie, will you?
京晶:好吧,那祝你新年快樂,給我留一塊你媽媽的蘋果派,行不行?
Mark: Sure, if I don't eat all of it first!
馬克:沒問題,要是我沒把它們吃光的話。
習語短語
back at ya=你也是
the big day=大日子。這里指春節,通常指某人的婚禮當天
feast=宴會。很多人聚在一起吃很豐盛的食物,通常在某個特別的日子舉行,如節假日
pig out=大吃特吃
on top of that=[口頭語]而且,除那以外
good cook=大廚,指做飯好吃的人
off the record=私底下說。指某人不想公開自己說的話,尤其是在對媒體說話時用
Don't have the heart to do something.=不忍心做某事。
stuff one's face=吃很多食物
finger lickin' good=食物太好吃了,以至于吃完之后還忍不住舔手指
Dialogue 2
Jingjing: So, Mark, how was your New Year? Did you save a piece of pie for me?
京晶:馬克,你新年過得怎么樣啊?有沒有給我留一塊蘋果派啊?
Mark: No I didn't, I never made it to my grandparent's house.
馬克:沒有,我就沒去成我祖父母家。
Jingjing: Huh? What happened? Is everything okay?
京晶:啊,怎么了?沒出什么事兒吧?
Mark: It's a long story, my mom and I got in an argument on the way to my grandparent's house.
馬克:說來話長,我和我媽在去的路上發生了爭執。
Jingjing: What was all the fussing about?
京晶:你們倆為什么吵呢?
Mark: My mom was being a back seat driver. She always freaks out whenever I drive her somewhere.
馬克:我媽媽總對我開車指手劃腳,無論我開車帶她去哪兒,她都緊張得不得了。
Jingjing: Well,then why didn't she drive you guys there?
京晶:那她怎么不開車帶你們去呢?
Mark: She had a charley horse from exercising earlier so she didn't feel like driving.
馬克:她之前鍛煉造成了腿部肌肉痙攣,所以她不想開車。
Jingjing: So cut to the chase, what happened in the car?
京晶:那長話短說,后來怎么樣了?
Mark: I told my mom to put a sock in it, but she wouldn't listen. Finally I got so frustrated that I turned around and drove back home.
馬克:我讓我媽別吵吵了,但是她不聽。最后我特別生氣,于是就掉頭開回家了。
Jingjing: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Well,my New Year's went really well, but I'll tell you about it some other day, I don't want to rub it in your face.
京晶:哦,我很同情你。我的新年倒是過得挺好的,但是我還是改天再告訴你吧,我不想觸到你的痛處。
Mark: That's a good idea, we'll talk later!
馬克:好主意,那回聊吧。
習語短語
It's a long story.=說來話長。
fuss/fussing=爭論
a back seat driver=某人沒在開車,但是偏要指導開車的人該怎么開車。指指手劃腳的人。
freak out=對某事非常擔心
charley horse=肌肉痙攣,抽筋
put a sock in it=把襪子塞嘴里,想讓某人閉嘴時用
frustrated=不高興,受挫的
rub it in your face=觸到某人的痛處。例如,如果我數學考了100分而你考了50分,我在你面前炫耀我的成績就是“rub it in your face”。