Tell me about this one.
跟我說說這個
So you've got a pig's trotter stew.
這道是發菜炆豬手
Pig's trotter in Chinese, zhushou shao. It's ike easy money, easy fortune. OK.
我們管豬蹄叫豬手,聽起來就像 "就手",表示掙錢發財很容易。明白
It's served with facai which sounds like getting rich, becoming wealthy.
伴以發菜,那聽起來就像 "發財就手"
It's sort of like this wild vegetable. Facai. Facai.
這就是一種野生蔬菜。發財。發財。
I mean, I hate to say it, it doesn't look great, but it's actually very good.
我不想這么說,這看起來不怎么樣,但其實是很好吃的
All right. This is close to home cooking as you can get not at home.
好吧。這是能吃到的最接近家常烹飪的飯菜了
These places become really popular for your everyday, getting off work etc.
這些地方變得很受歡迎,比如平常或是下班之后什么的
You know, popping-by kind of local eatery. Right.
順便來吃一頓的小吃攤。對
Wow, what's this? Thank you.
哇哦,這是什么?謝謝
That is the signature dish of Chinese New Year.
這是中國春節一道標準性的菜肴
You've got a turnip cake which is savory.
這是蘿卜糕,很美味
It's made with dried shrimps, dried scallops and air-dried sausages.
用蝦仁,干杯和風干香腸烹飪
They call it migao which is the New Year cake.
這個叫做米糕,也就是年糕
That would keep you going for a week, would it?
這些東西一個星期都吃不過來,對吧
Yeah. And you have a sweet version of that which is kind of a rice cake and it's super gooey.
對,你還有甜的米糕,是用大米粉做的,超黏的
It's super gooey. Oh, wonderful. It's caramel-ly.
超黏呀。哦,真好吃,有焦糖風味
Yeah. Families have like their really old school recipe.
沒錯,家里面都喜歡煮些傳統的菜
I mean, they made it at home and usually it's super delicious.
他們就在家里烹煮,而且通常都很美味
So it would be equivalent of, you know, family in the UK cooking a Christmas cake.
所以這個就相當于是英國家庭做圣誕蛋糕一樣
Recipe that has been passed down the family for three generations.
都是家里面傳承了三代的菜譜
So, Alan, how would you spend New Year with your family?
那么艾倫你怎樣和家人一起過新年呢
Obviously, eating endlessly! It just doesn't stop, you know. You eat all day long.
那當然是不停地吃吃吃了。從早吃到晚,吃個不停
How many meals are you having in a day?
你一天要吃多少頓呢
You mean apart from breakfast, lunch and dinner?
你是說不算早中晚餐的嗎
There is another food that is completely ubiquitous in China, well, not just in China, all over the world.
還有另外一種在中國隨處可見的食物,嗯,也不單是中國,世界到處都有
But just because it is commonplace, doesn't mean that it isn't just as important for every New Year table.
雖然是道家常便飯,但仍是每個春節里餐桌上的重中之重