If you had caught me straight out of college in the halls of the Vermont State House
如果你在我本科剛畢業后在佛蒙特州議會大樓里遇到我
where I was a lobbyist in training and asked me what I was going to do with my life,
那時我還正在參加說客培訓,并同時問我我的人生理想是什么
I would have told you that I'd just passed the Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi,
我會告訴你我剛通過了漢語水平考試
the Chinese equivalency exam, and I was going to go study law in Beijing,
(The Chinese Equivalency Exam),而且我準備去北京進修法律
and I was going to improve U.S.-China relations through top-down policy changes and judicial system reforms.
我要自上而下地修訂政策及改革司法系統以來改善中美關系
I had a plan, and I never ever thought it would have anything to do with the banjo.
我是有個計劃,但是我沒想到它會和班卓琴扯上什么關系,就是這玩意兒
Little did I know what a huge impact it would have on me one night
我真沒想到它將在某個晚上對我造成如此巨大的影響
when I was at a party and I heard a sound coming out of a record player in the corner of a room.
當時我正在一個派對,我聽見從房間角落里的錄音機傳來得聲音
And it was Doc Watson singing and playing "Shady Grove."
那是多克·沃森彈唱的《林蔭》
Shady Grove, my little love. Shady Grove, my darlin'
樹林蔭蔭啊,我的小愛人。樹林蔭蔭啊,我的小親親
Shady Grove, my little love. Going back to Harlan
樹林蔭蔭啊,我的小愛人。讓我們一起回哈蘭
That sound was just so beautiful, the sound of Doc's voice and the rippling groove of the banjo.
那聲音真是太美了,多克的嗓音和蕩漾的班卓琴聲
And after being totally and completely obsessed with the mammoth richness and history of Chinese culture,
在完全徹底沉迷于悠久厚重、浩浩湯湯的中國歷史與文化這么久以后
it was like this total relief to hear something so truly American and so truly awesome.
聽到這種地道的美國風格,也是地道的一流音樂,實在是對我的一種解脫