You see, you can take out one or two hub trees,
你們看,我們可以拿走一兩顆中心樹,
but there comes a tipping point,
但這樣就會達到森林承受極限了,
because hub trees are not unlike rivets in an airplane.
因為森林里的中心樹就像是飛機里的鉚釘。
You can take out one or two and the plane still flies, but you take out one too many,
你卸下一兩個鉚釘的話飛機還能飛,但是如果你一次卸下太多,
or maybe that one holding on the wings, and the whole system collapses.
或是僅僅卸下固定機翼的那一顆鉚釘,整個系統就要崩潰了。
So now how are you thinking about forests? Differently?
那么現在你們對森林的看法是怎樣的了?有些改變了吧?
Cool. I'm glad.
真棒。我太高興了。
So, remember I said earlier that I hoped that my research,
你們還記得吧,我之前說過我希望我的研究,
my discoveries would change the way we practice forestry.
我的探索可以改變一些我們的林業實踐的方式。
Well, I want to take a check on that 30 years later here in western Canada.
我想在30年后在西加拿大的這個地方做個檢測。
This is about 100 kilometers to the west of us, just on the border of Banff National Park.
這里大概是在西邊距我們100公里的地方,就在班夫國家公園的邊上。
That's a lot of clear-cuts. It's not so pristine.
在那里到處都發生著皆伐。現在不是原始社會了。
In 2014, the World Resources Institute reported that Canada in the past decade
2014年,據世界資源研究所報道,加拿大在過去十年中的
has had the highest forest disturbance rate of any country worldwide, and I bet you thought it was Brazil.
森林破壞率已經達到了世界最高,比任何一個國家都高,我打賭你現在肯定想到了巴西。
In Canada, it's 3.6 percent per year.
在加拿大,森林破壞率是每年3.6%。
Now, by my estimation, that's about four times the rate that is sustainable.
據我推算,這大概是可持續發展的砍伐率的四倍了。
Now, massive disturbance at this scale is known to affect hydrological cycles, degrade wildlife habitat,
大規模高強度的砍伐已經嚴重影響到了水循環,破壞了野生動物的棲息地,
and emit greenhouse gases back into the atmosphere, which creates more disturbance and more tree diebacks.
而且又向大氣中釋放了很多溫室氣體,這也會使更多的樹木枯死,造成更嚴重的破壞。