Very little difference where we are, where we live.
微乎甚微的區別 我們在哪里 我們生活在哪里
Income levels, lottery, tenure, getting into our dream college.
收入水平 是否中彩票 是否取得終身職位 入讀理想中大學
Getting our dream job for you seniors you may have just gotten it.
找到理想工作 大四學生 可能已經找到
Yeah, you are going to have a spike in your level of wellbeing I'm sure you had a spike in your level of wellbeing.
沒錯 你們會感覺極至的幸福 我肯定拿到錄取信時
When you got this acceptance letter, but very quickly we go back to our base level.
你們的幸福感也達到峰值 但很快又恢復到基礎水平
One thing that does matter to our base level of wellbeing which is external circumstance is democracy versus oppression.
對基礎幸福水平很重要的一樣東西 它是一個外在因素 那就是民主和壓迫
People living in democracies are generally significantly happier than people living in dictatorships.
生活在民主制度下的人通常明顯 比生活在獨裁制度下的人更快樂
Women, for example, living in places where they are oppressed are in general.
以女性為例 生活在壓迫制度下的一般
Less happy than women living in free countries. People living in Darfur are certainly.
沒有生活在自由國家的女性快樂 生活在達爾福爾的人
Less happy than people living in Denmark or the United States. But again, these are the extreme circumstance.
肯定沒有生活在丹麥或美國的人快樂 這些是能產生區別的
That do make a difference, such as I said, a homeless person.
極端情況 比如我舉的無家可歸者的例子
Of course, income will make a difference to that person. Moving to a free country.
收入當然會改善他的境遇 移民到自由國家
Of course, will make a difference to their wellbeing. But beyond the extremes.
當然會讓他們更加幸福 但在這些極端情況之外
Additions or subtractions to our external circumstances make very little difference.
增加或減少的外部環境 產生的區別很小
Now this is good news and bad news. The bad news is it seems like whatever we do.
這即是好消息也是壞消息 壞消息是 看來不論我們怎么做