There's so many of you.
好多人呀。
When I was a kid, I hid my heart under the bed, because my mother said,
當我還是小孩子的時候,我把自己的心藏在床底下,因為我的媽媽告訴我,
"If you're not careful, someday someone's going to break it."
“你要是不小心保管,終有一天有人會摧毀它。”
Take it from me. Under the bed is not a good hiding spot.
聽我說,床底下并不是藏東西的好地方,
I know because I've been shot down so many times I get altitude sickness just from standing up for myself.
我很清楚因為每當我想要站起來,自強不息的時候,都會因為“高原反應”而被一次次打倒在地。
But that's what we were told. Stand up for yourself.
但這就是別人教我們的。自強不息。
And that's hard to do if you don't know who you are.
如果你沒有明確的定位,你很難做到自強不息。
We were expected to define ourselves at such an early age, and if we didn't do it, others did it for us.
我們還很小的時候就被要求明確自己的定位,如果我們做不到,別人就會代勞。
Geek. Fatty. Slut. Fag.
“呆子”。“胖子”。“蕩婦”。“苦力”。
And at the same time we were being told what we were, we were being asked,
在我們被賦予身份定位的同時,我們總是被人問到,
"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
“長大后你想做什么?”
I always thought that was an unfair question.
我一直覺得這個問題問得很不公平。
It presupposes that we can't be what we already are. We were kids.
它預先假設了我們不能維持現在的樣子。我們是小孩子。
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a man.
當我是小孩子的時候,我想變成一個男人。
I wanted a registered retirement savings plan that would keep me in candy long enough to make old age sweet.
我想要有自己的養老金賬戶,錢足夠我把余下的一輩子時間都只花在制作老式糖果上
When I was a kid, I wanted to shave. Now, not so much.
當我是小孩子的時候,我希望可以刮胡子。現在?不想了。
When I was eight, I wanted to be a marine biologist.
八歲的時候,我想當海洋生物學家。
When I was nine, I saw the movie "Jaws," and thought to myself, "No, thank you."
九歲的時候,我看了《大白鯊》。然后我對自己說,“還是算了吧。”
And when I was 10, I was told that my parents left because they didn't want me.
十歲的時候,我的生父母離開了我,他們不要我了。
When I was 11, I wanted to be left alone.
11歲的時候,我希望自己一個人生活。
When I was 12, I wanted to die. When I was 13, I wanted to kill a kid.
12歲的時候我不想活了。13歲的時候我想殺掉一個小孩。
When I was 14, I was asked to seriously consider a career path.
14歲的時候我被要求嚴肅的考慮以后的職業生涯。
I said, "I'd like to be a writer." And they said, "Choose something realistic."
我說,“我想做一個作家。”他們說:“說個現實點的工作。”
So I said, "Professional wrestler." And they said, "Don't be stupid."
于是我說,“職業摔跤運動員。”他們說,“別傻了。”
See, they asked me what I wanted to be, then told me what not to be.
你看,他們問我想做什么,然后又告訴我統統不能做。
And I wasn't the only one.
而且不止是我一個人