We know something about what controls satisfaction of the happiness self.
我們知道什么能夠讓人的快樂得到滿足。
We know that money is very important, goals are very important.
我們知道錢是很重要的,目標也非常重要。
We know that happiness is mainly being satisfied with people that we like,
我們知道要快樂是需要通過我們所喜愛的人來滿足,
spending time with people that we like.
是需要花時間和他們待在一起來滿足。
There are other pleasures, but this is dominant.
雖然還有其它因素,但這是主要因素。
So if you want to maximize the happiness of the two selves,
所以假若你想讓兩個自我都快樂,
you are going to end up doing very different things.
你必須拋棄舊習且要做些與眾不同的事。
The bottom line of what I've said here
我說的是,我們至少
is that we really should not think of happiness as a substitute for well-being.
不應把快樂當成活得好的代名詞。
It is a completely different notion.
這兩者是天壤之別的。
Now, very quickly, another reason we cannot think straight about happiness
現在,很快地討論下另一個我們不能理解快樂本質的原因,
is that we do not attend to the same things when we think about life, and we actually live.
那就是我們怎么看生活和我們怎么過生活是不一樣的。
So, if you ask the simple question of how happy people are in California,
所以,當你問加州的人有多快樂時,
you are not going to get to the correct answer.
你將無法得到正確答案。
When you ask that question, you think people must be happier in California if, say, you live in Ohio.
因為當你這樣問時,你認為加州人一定過得比較快樂,而你則住在俄亥俄州。
And what happens is when you think about living in California,
當你在想住在加州有多快樂時,
you are thinking of the contrast between California and other places, and that contrast, say, is in climate.
你會想到加州和其他州域之間的差異性,譬如氣候。
Well, it turns out that climate is not very important to the experiencing self
事實證明氣候條件對于經驗自我并非很重要
and it's not even very important to the reflective self that decides how happy people are.
而且對于思考自我衡量自己有多快樂也不太重要。