The distinction between the happiness of the experiencing self
近年來,經驗自我的快樂
and the satisfaction of the remembering self has been recognized in recent years,
和記憶自我的滿足的差異性已能分清,
and there are now efforts to measure the two separately.
目前正努力來分別測度兩者,
The Gallup Organization has a world poll where more than half a million people
蓋洛普公司最近在全世界舉行了一場民意調查,其中逾五十萬人
have been asked questions about what they think of their life and about their experiences,
都被問及一個類似的問題,那就是他們如何看待他們的生活和如何看待他們的經驗。
and there have been other efforts along those lines.
除了這個問題,這個公司還做了其它的調查。
So in recent years, we have begun to learn about the happiness of the two selves.
近年來,我們逐漸得知關于兩種快樂見解的信息。
And the main lesson I think that we have learned is they are really different.
我認為我們主要學到的便是兩者是天壤之別的。
You can know how satisfied somebody is with their life,
雖然你可以得知一個人對生活是否滿意,
and that really doesn't teach you much about how happily they're living their life, and vice versa.
但卻無法告訴你他們平常活的有多快樂,而反之亦然。
Just to give you a sense of the correlation, the correlation is about .5.
只是為了讓你對其中的關聯性有個基本概念,它們之間大概只有50%關聯。
What that means is if you met somebody,
意思是當你見到某個人時,
and you were told, "Oh his father is six feet tall,"
你被告知他的爸爸有六尺高,
how much would you know about his height?
你能知道這個人有多高么?
Well, you would know something about his height, but there's a lot of uncertainty.
好吧,你可能有個基本概念,但非常不確定。
You have that much uncertainty.
你無法下判定。
If I tell you that somebody ranked their life eight on a scale of ten,
若我說有人給自己的生活質量打分,他打8/10分,
you have a lot of uncertainty about how happy they are with their experiencing self.
你也不能把握他們的經驗自我有多么快樂。
So the correlation is low.
所以關聯性很低。