Now you laugh, but that quote has kind of a sting to it, right?
你覺得好笑,但是那句話有些刺痛,對吧。
And I think the reason it has a sting
我認為它有刺的原因
is because thousands of years of history don't reverse themselves without a lot of pain,
是因為數千年的歷史是不會顛覆,如果沒有疼痛的話。
and that's why I talk about us all going through this together.
這也是為什么我談到我們都將一起經歷這個。
The night after I talked to these college girls,
在我和這些大學女孩兒談過之后的那天夜里,
I also went to a men's group in Kansas,
我也去訪問了在堪薩斯州的一個男生團體。
and these were exactly the kind of victims of the manufacturing economy which I spoke to you about earlier.
這些正是制造業經濟的受害者,正如我較早前對你們說的。
They were men who had been contractors, or they had been building houses
他們是那些曾經的承包商,或者他們曾建造房屋
and they had lost their jobs after the housing boom,
在房屋建造繁榮期過去之后他們失去了工作,
and they were in this group because they were failing to pay their child support.
他們屬于這個團體因為他們不能為他們的孩子支付撫養費。
And the instructor was up there in the class
指導者站在教室前
explaining to them all the ways in which they had lost their identity in this new age.
向他們解釋他們是如何在新時代失去他們的身份。
He was telling them they no longer had any moral authority,
他告訴他們,他們不再有任何道義上的權威,
that nobody needed them for emotional support anymore, and they were not really the providers.
沒有人需要他們來作為情感上的支撐,他們也不是提供者。
So who were they? And this was very disheartening for them.
那么他們是誰呢?這對他們來說是十分的沮喪的。
And what he did was he wrote down on the board "$85,000,"
他所作的就是在黑板上寫下八萬五千美元,
and he said, "That's her salary," and then he wrote down "$12,000."
然后他說,“這是她的工資。”然后他寫下一萬兩千美金。
"That's your salary. So who's the man now?" he asked them.
“這是你的工資。那么現在誰是一家之主?”他問他們。
"Who's the damn man? She's the man now."
“誰是那個一家之主?她現在成了一家之主。”
And that really sent a shudder through the room.
那真的使整個屋子顫栗。
And that's part of the reason I like to talk about this,
那也是我想要談論這個的一部分原因,
because I think it can be pretty painful, and we really have to work through it.
因為我認為它可以很刺痛,我們也的確需要攻克它。