Most of you did. And if we also ask the positive question,
你們大多數人都沒看到如果我們也問積極問題
Then some new possibilities, new quests open up, just like they did for the researchers when they started to ask
那就會出現新的可能性 新的探索就像他們對研究學者所問的一樣
No longer why do so many individuals fail? But started to ask what do some individuals do and succeed?
不再問 為什么有這么多人墮落? 而問 那些人是怎樣取得成功的?
Why do some individuals succeed despite the unfavorable circumstances?
為什么有些人能成功即使成長環境惡劣?
And then we have the story of Marva Collins, who exemplifies so many of themes
我們會以Marva Collins的故事為例她的例子很典型 能說明很多觀點
That we'll talk about throughout the course. What Marva Collins did
這些觀點會貫穿我們整節課Marva Collins所做的
Was help her students shift from the passive victim you are victims of your circumstances,
就是幫助她的學生從消極的受害者-你是成長環境的受害者
Of your upbringing, neighborhood, country, whatever it is from a passive victim to an active agent.
是你的家庭教育 鄰里關系 和社會環境的受害者諸如此類的 從消極的受害者變成積極的作用者
Yes, it's difficult. It's tough. It's unfair. However, it's your responsibility. No one is coming.
是的 那很困難 艱辛 不公平但這是你自己的責任 沒人會來幫你
It's up to you to make that difference in your life. And she made a difference to thousands of people's lives
能否改變自己的人生 由你自己決定但她改變了千千萬萬人的人生
And continues to do so. In other words, if we look at the case of Chicago school system
現在還在這么做換句話說 如果我們看看芝加哥學院體制
Where Marva Collins was teaching, the conventional, traditional question was if you remember
Marva Collins就在那體制下執教還是那個老問題
How can we keep these students in school for as long as possible?
怎樣才能讓學生們在學校留得久一點?
How can we keep them in school beyond the age of 10 or 12 so that they don't join street gangs?
如何讓他們在10或12歲后還留在學校讓他們遠離街頭幫派?