So how did it happen that you created Craigslist?
是什么促使你創立Craigslist網站?
The effort started in 1994 when I was at Charles Schwab, working then on overall security architecture.
那是在1994年,那時我還在嘉信理財,負責總體安全架構。
But I also saw people using the Internet and figured it was going to be important eventually for anyone in the brokerage business.
但是我看到人們使用互聯網,覺得互聯網將在經紀人生意上大有作為,
So I started evangelizing that at Schwab.
于是我開始在嘉信理財宣講這個觀點。
While I was looking around at the Internet, I saw a lot of people helping each other out
我在互聯網上到處看到人們互相幫助,
and thought that I should do something, too.
于是我想我也可以做點事情。
So in 1995,I began to e-mail a bunch of friends about art and technical events in San Francisco.
因此,在1995年,我開始通過電子郵件向朋友們傳達舊金山地區藝術展和科技活動的消息,
Over the months that followed, people kept asking if I could add the occasional job posting and listings for things to sell, too.
幾個月后,人們問我可不可以加點臨時職位發布,或者求購消息,
Then I said, “Let’s add apartment listings, too.”
于是我說,干脆連房屋租賃消息也加上算了,
It was all done through a very simple E-mail, a cc: list.
那些都是通過簡單的電子郵件抄送列表進行的。
This is the sort of pattern we still have today
現在我們依然保持著這種形式
—people suggest stuff to us, we do what makes sense and then we ask for more feedback.
人們向我們提出建議,我們將一些行得通的付之于行動,然后尋求更多的反饋信息。
I left Schwab around the same time I began Craigslist.
我大約在創建Craigslist的同時離開了嘉信理財,
Soon I went freelance and had a lot of fun, while working on Craigslist as a hobby.
我成為自由職業者并享受到極大的樂趣,將Craigslist作為一種興趣來做。
One milestone was hit in the middle of 1995.
1995年中期是一個里程碑,
At that point, I was sending my e-mails to about 240 people,
那時我向大約240個人發送電子郵件,
but the list at that point had gotten around to friends of friends as well.
但那些列表也在朋友的朋友中傳播。
At 240 addresses, though, the cc: list mechanism broke.
可是,240個地址的抄送列表機制崩潰了。
Then I had to use a listserve.
我不得不使用列表服務,
I was going to call it SF Events, since it was still mostly events,
我準備叫它SF事件,因為它畢竟還是一個事件,
but friends told me that they already called it Craigslist,
但朋友們說他們都稱之為 Craigslist,
that I had created a brand unintentionally and that I should keep calling it that
我無意中創造了一個品牌。我應該一直用這個名字,
because it was personal and quirky.
因為它是私有且奇怪的。
The thing just kept growing.
一切都在繼續發展。