I understand, but the apartment brokers who we charge asked us to charge them
我明白你的意思,但紐約的房屋中介主動要求我們收費,
because they figured it would cut down on the perceived need to post and repost the same places
這樣可以防止人們大量發布重復消息,
and they figured it would get rid of some of the scammers.
也為了將一些詐騙分子擋在外面。
The principle behind this一in 2000 I asked a lot of people,
對于這背后的原則, 在2000年,我問了很多人,
“What’s the right way for us to pay the bills, and maybe do better than that?",
怎樣收費最好,
People told us to charge people who already paid too much for less effective ads.
人們告訴我,向那些在傳統廣告上花了很多錢卻收效甚微的人收費,
Specifically, the consensus was it was OK to charge employers and recruiters
具體來講,大家一致同意:向雇主和招聘人員,
and to charge apartment brokers and real estate agents.
房屋中介和房地產代理商收費是合理的,
And so we’ve done that, but only a little.
所以我們這樣做了,但收得很少。
And this makes enough money for the company to survive and for your 25 San Francisco-based employees to get their paychecks?
這點錢夠一個公司生存嗎?或者說,夠你向你的25個舊金山雇員發薪水嗎?
Right. It ain’t bad. We just do what feels right and plug away.
夠了,而且還不壞。我們堅持 不懈地致力于那些我們感覺是對的事。
So you founded Craigslist. but you aren’t an executive? Why is that?
你創立了 Craigslist,卻不是執行官,為什么?
Inside the company, my job is customer service.
在我們公司,我是個客戶服務人員,
Jim is a much better CEO.
吉姆更適合做CEO。
And my skills are not management skills;
我的能力不在經營管理,
however, I’m a really good customer service representative.
但我絕對是個好的客戶服務代表。
I’m part of a customer service team and we handle things like cases of abuse from users of the Web site.
我是客服團隊的一員,我的職責是處理一些網站被客戶濫用的事情。
OK, so here you have Craigslist at your disposal.
好的,你有自己的Craigslist,
How do you use Craigslist? Do you buy things or list things for sale?
你怎么使用Craigslist,你也在上面買東西或發布商品嗎?
Once in a while I do all the above.
偶爾也會,
I do so a little gingerly because it kind of feels like a conflict of interest
但我會很謹慎,因為這里面有利益沖突,
because when I do that I have to disclose who I am.
我要在上面做這些,我必須透露我是誰,
That isn’t a conflict of interest, but it still to me feels a little bit like one.
但難免就會出現利益沖突的事。其實這并不是利益沖突,
I feel the way I do and so I do things gingerly and that seems to be fair.
但是我還是覺得是。所以我想自己必須非常謹慎才會顯得公平。
Five years from now, what do you see changing at Craigslist?
后5年,你會看到Craigslist有什么改變?
It’s going to be more of the same, more cities, more languages.
更多的會保持不變,我們會發展到更多城市,更多語言,
It’s now in English and we’ve recently introduced Spanish, starting with Madrid.
現在是英語,最近我們正嘗試西班牙語,從馬德里開始。