For several subsequent days I saw little of Mr.Rochester.
后來的幾天我很少見到羅切斯特先生。
In the mornings he seemed much engaged with business,
早上他似乎忙于事務,
and, in the afternoon, gentlemen from Millcote or the neighbourhood called, and sometimes stayed to dine with him.
下午接待從米爾科特或附近來造訪的紳士,有時他們留下來與他共進晚餐。
When his sprain was well enough to admit of horse exercise, he rode out a good deal.
他的傷勢好轉到可以騎馬時,便經常騎馬外出。
Probably to return these visits, as he generally did not come back till late at night.
也許是回訪,往往到深夜才回來。
During this interval, even Adèle was seldom sent for to his presence,
在這期間,連阿黛勒也很少給叫到他跟前。
and all my acquaintance with him was confined to an occasional rencontre in the hall, on the stairs, or in the gallery,
我同他的接觸,只限于在大廳里、樓梯上,或走廊上偶然相遇。
when he would sometimes pass me haughtily and coldly,
他有時高傲冷漠地從我身邊走過,
just acknowledging my presence by a distant nod or a cool glance, and sometimes bow and smile with gentlemanlike affability.
遠遠地點一下頭或冷冷地瞥一眼,承認了我的存在,而有時卻很有紳士風度,和藹可親地鞠躬和微笑。
His changes of mood did not offend me, because I saw that I had nothing to do with their alternation;
他情緒的反復并沒有使我生氣,因為我明白這種變化與我無關。
The ebb and flow depended on causes quite disconnected with me.
他情緒的起伏完全是由于同我不相干的原因。
One day he had had company to dinner, and had sent for my portfolio; in order, doubtless, to exhibit its contents:
一天有客來吃飯,他派人來取我的畫夾,無疑是要向人家出示里面的畫。
the gentlemen went away early, to attend a public meeting at Millcote, as Mrs. Fairfax informed me;
紳士們走得很早,費爾法克斯太太告訴我,他們要到米爾科特去參加一個公眾大會。
but the night being wet and inclement, Mr. Rochester did not accompany them.
但那天晚上有雨,天氣惡劣、羅切斯特先生沒有去作陪。
Soon after they were gone he rang the bell.
他們走后不久,他便打鈴。
a message came that I and Adèle were to go downstairs.
傳話來讓我和阿黛勒下樓去。

I brushed Adèle's hair and made her neat,
我梳理了阿黛勒的頭發,把她打扮得整整齊齊,
and having ascertained that I was myself in my usual Quaker trim, where there was nothing to retouch.
我自己穿上了平時的貴格會服裝,知道確實已經沒有再修飾的余地。
All being too close and plain, braided locks included, to admit of disarrangement.
一切都那么貼身而又樸實,包括編了辮子的頭發在內,絲毫不見凌亂的痕跡
We descended.
我們便下樓去了。
Adèle wondering whether the petit coffre was at length come;
阿黛勒正疑惑著,不知她的小箱子終于到了沒有。
For, owing to some mistake, its arrival had hitherto been delayed.
因為某些差錯,它直到現在還遲遲未來。
She was gratified: there it stood, a little carton, on the table when we entered the dining-room.
我們走進餐室,只見桌上放著一個小箱子。阿黛勒非常高興,
She appeared to know it by instinct.
她似乎憑直覺就知道了。
"Ma boite! Ma boite!" exclaimed she, running towards it.
"我的箱子。我的箱子!"她大嚷著朝它奔過去。
Yes, there is your 'boite' at last.
是的,你的‘箱子’終于到了。
take it into a corner, you genuine daughter of Paris, and amuse yourself with disembowelling it,"
把它拿到一個角落去,你這位地道的巴黎女兒,你就去掏你盒子里的東西玩兒吧。"
said the deep and rather sarcastic voice of Mr. Rochester, proceeding from the depths of an immense easy-chair at the fireside.
羅切斯特先生用深沉而頗有些譏諷的口吻說,那聲音是從火爐旁巨大的安樂椅深處發出來的。
"And mind," he continued, "don't bother me with any details of the anatomical process,
"記住,"他繼續說,"別用解剖過程的細枝末節問題
or any notice of the condition of the entrails.
或者內臟情況的通報來打攪我。
Let your operation be conducted in silence. Tiens-toi tranquille, enfant; comprends-tu?"
你就靜靜地去動手術吧 — 你是孩子;明白嗎?"
Adèle seemed scarcely to need the warning.
阿黛勒似乎并不需要提醒。
She had already retired to a sofa with her treasure, and was busy untying the cord which secured the lid.
她已經帶著她的寶貝退到了一張沙發上,這會兒正忙著解開系住蓋子的繩子。
Having removed this impediment, and lifted certain silvery envelopes of tissue paper,
她清除了這個障礙,揭起銀色包裝薄紙,
she merely exclaimed:"Oh ciel! Que c' est beau!"
光一個勁兒地大嚷著:"哦!天空!多美啊!"
And then remained absorbed in ecstatic contemplation."
隨后便沉浸在興奮的沉思中。