"Come to the fire," said the master,
"坐到火爐邊來,"這位主人說。
when the tray was taken away, and Mrs. Fairfax had settled into a corner with her knitting,
這時托盤己經端走,費爾法克斯太太躲進角落忙著編織,
while Adele was leading me by the hand round the room,
阿黛勒拉住我的手在房間里打轉,
showing me the beautiful books and ornaments on the consoles and chiffonnieres.
把她放在架子和柜子上的漂亮的書籍和飾品拿給我看,
We obeyed, as in duty bound.
我們義不容辭地服從了。
Adele wanted to take a seat on my knee, but she was ordered to amuse herself with Pilot.
阿黛勒想坐在我膝頭上,卻被吩咐去逗派洛特玩了。
You have been resident in my house three months?
你在我這里住了三個月了吧?
Yes, sir.
是的,先生。
And you came from —?
你來自...
From Lowood school, in —shire.
××郡的羅沃德學校。
Ah! a charitable concern. How long were you there?
噢!一個慈善機構。你在那里呆了幾年?
Eight years.
八年。
Eight years! You must be tenacious of life.
八年!你的生命力一定是夠頑強的。
I thought half the time in such a place would have done up any constitution!
我認為在那種地方就是呆上一半時間,也會把身體搞跨!
No wonder you have rather the look of another world.
怪不得你那種樣子像是從另外一個世界來的。
I marvelled where you had got that sort of face.
我很奇怪,你從哪兒得來了那種面孔。
When you came on me in Hay Lane last night, I thought unaccountably of fairy tales,
昨晚我在海路上碰到你的時候,不由得想到了童話故事,
and had half a mind to demand whether you had bewitched my horse.
而且真有點想問問你,是不是你迷住了我的馬。
I am not sure yet.
不過我現在仍不敢肯定。
Who are your parents?
你父母是誰?
I have none.
我沒有父母。
Nor ever had, I suppose. Do you remember them?
從來沒有過,我猜想,你還記得他們嗎?
No.
不記得。

I thought not. And so you were waiting for your people when you sat on that stile?
我想也記不得了。所以你坐在臺階上等你自己的人來?
For whom, sir?
等誰,先生?
For the men in green. It was a proper moonlight evening for them.
等綠衣仙人唄,晚上月光皎潔,正是他們出沒的好時光。
Did I break through one of your rings, that you spread that damned ice on the causeway?
是不是我沖破了你們的圈子,你就在路面上撒下了那該死的冰?
I shook my head.
我搖了搖頭。
"The men in green all forsook England a hundred years ago, "said I, speaking as seriously as he had done.
"綠衣仙人幾百年前就離開了英格蘭,"我也像他一樣一本正經地說。
And not even in Hay Lane, or the fields about it, could you find a trace of them.
就是在海路上或者附近的田野,你也見不到他們的一絲蹤跡。
I don't think either summer or harvest, or winter moon, will ever shine on their revels more.
我想夏天、秋夜或者冬季的月亮再也不會照耀他們的狂歡了。
Mrs. Fairfax had dropped her knitting, and, with raised eyebrows, seemed wondering what sort of talk this was.
費爾法克斯太太放下手中的織物,豎起眉毛,似乎對這類談話感到驚異。
"Well, "resumed Mr. Rochester, "if you disown parents, you must have some sort of kinsfolk: uncles and aunts?"
好吧,羅切斯特先生繼續說,"要是你沒有父母,總應該有些親人。譬如叔伯姑嫂等?"
No. None that I ever saw.
沒有,就我所知,一個也沒有。
And your home?
那么你家在哪兒?
I have none.
我沒有家。
Where do your brothers and sisters live?
你兄弟姐妹住在哪兒?
I have no brothers or sisters.
我沒有兄弟姐妹。
Who recommended you to come here?
誰推薦你到這里來的呢?
I advertised, and Mrs. Fairfax answered my advertisement.
我自己登廣告,費爾法克斯太太答復了我。
"Yes," said the good lady, who now knew what ground we were upon.
"是的,"這位好心的太太說,此刻她才弄明白我們談話的立足點。
And I am daily thankful for the choice Providence led me to make.
我每天感謝主引導我作出了這個選擇。
Miss Eyre has been an invaluable companion to me, and a kind and careful teacher to Adele.
愛小姐對我是個不可多得的伙伴,對阿黛勒是位和氣細心的教師。