Mrs. Fairfax seemed to think it necessary that some one should be amiable, and she began to talk.
費爾法克斯太太好像認為總需要有人隨和些,于是便先開始說起話來。
Kindly, as usual — and, as usual, rather trite — she condoled with him on the pressure of business he had had all day.
照例和和氣氣,也照例很陳腐。對他整天緊張處理事務而表示同情。
On the annoyance it must have been to him with that painful sprain.
對扭傷的痛苦所帶來的煩惱表示慰問。
Then she commended his patience and perseverance in going through with it.
隨后贊揚了他承受這一切的耐心與毅力。
“Madam, I should like some tea,” was the sole rejoinder she got.
“太太,我想喝茶,”這是她所得到的唯一的回答。
She hastened to ring the bell.
她趕緊去打鈴。
And when the tray came, she proceeded to arrange the cups, spoons, etc. , with assiduous celerity.
托盤端上來時,又去張羅杯子,茶匙等,顯得巴結而麻利。
I and Adèle went to the table, but the master did not leave his couch.
我和阿黛勒走近桌子,而這位主人并沒離開他的睡榻。
“Will you hand Mr. Rochester's cup?” said Mrs. Fairfax to me; “Adèle might perhaps spill it.”
“請你把羅切斯特先生的杯子端過去,”費爾法克斯太太對我說,“阿黛勒也許會潑灑出去的。”
I did as requested.
我按她的要求做了。

As he took the cup from my hand, Adèle, thinking the moment propitious for making a request in my favour, cried out:
他從我手里接過杯子時,阿黛勒也許認為乘機可以為我提出個請求來,她叫道:
"N' est-ce pas, monsieur, qu 'il y a un cadeau pour Mademoiselle Eyre dans votre petit coffre?"
“不,先生,在你的小金庫有一個禮物給簡愛小姐?”
"Who talks of cadeaux? "said he gruffly.
“誰說起過?”他生硬地說。
"Did you expect a present, Miss Eyre? Are you fond of presents?"
“你盼望一份禮物嗎,愛小姐?你喜歡禮物嗎?”
and he searched my face with eyes that I saw were dark, irate, and piercing.
他用一雙在我看來陰沉惱怒而富有穿透力的眼睛,搜索著我的面容。
I hardly know, sir. I have little experience of them. They are generally thought pleasant things.
我說不上來,先生,我對這些東西沒有什么經驗,一般認為是討人喜歡的。
Generally thought? But what do you think?
一般認為:可是你認為呢?
I should be obliged to take time, sir, before I could give you an answer worthy of your acceptance.
我得需要一點時間,先生,才能作出值得你接受的回答。
A present has many faces to it, has it not?
一件禮物可以從多方面去看它,是不是?
And one should consider all, before pronouncing an opinion as to its nature.
而人們需要全面考慮,才能發表關于禮物性質的意見。
Miss Eyre, you are not so unsophisticated as Adèle.
愛小姐,你不像阿黛勒那么單純。
She demands a 'cadeau,' clamorously, the moment she sees me. You beat about the bush.
她一見到我就嚷著要‘禮物’,而你卻轉彎抹角。
"Because I have less confidence in my deserts than Adèle has.
因為我對自己是否配得禮物,不像阿黛勒那么有信心。
She can prefer the claim of old acquaintance, and the right too of custom,
她可憑老關系老習慣提出要求,
for she says you have always been in the habit of giving her playthings.
因為她說你一貫送她玩具。
But if I had to make out a case I should be puzzled,
但如果要我發表看法的話,我就不知道該怎么說了,
since I am a stranger, and have done nothing to entitle me to an acknowledgment.
因為我是個陌生人,沒有做過什么值得感謝的事情。
Oh, don't fall back on over-modesty!
啊,別以過份謙虛來搪塞!
I have examined Adèle, and find you have taken great pains with her.
我己經檢查過阿黛勒的功課,發現你為她花了很大力氣,
She is not bright, she has no talents, yet in a short time she has made much improvement.
她并不聰明,也沒有什么天份,但在短期內取得了很大進步。
“Sir, you have now given me my 'cadeau;' I am obliged to you.
“先生,你已經給了我‘禮物’,我很感謝你。
It is the meed teachers most covet — praise of their pupils' progress.
贊揚學生的進步,是教師們最向往的酬勞。
"Humph!" said Mr. Rochester, and he took his tea in silence.
“哼!”羅切斯特先生哼了一聲,默默地喝起茶來。