Limiting your options is the same as hanging on to old ideas.
限制自己的選擇機會等同于固守陳舊的觀念。
I have a friend from high school who now works at three jobs.
我有一個高中時代的朋友,現在做著3份工作。
Twenty years ago, he was the richest of all my classmates.
20年前,他曾是我的同學中最富有的一個。
When the local sugar plantation closed, the company he worked for went down with the plantation.
后來當地的甘蔗園倒閉了,他所在的公司也隨之關張。
In his mind, he had but one option, and that was the old option: Work hard.
在他看來,他只有唯一的、陳舊的選擇——努力工作。
The problem was he couldn't find an equivalent job that recognized his seniority from the old company.
問題在于他再也找不到一份能像原來那家公司那樣認可他的價值的新工作。
As a result, he is overqualified for the jobs he currently has, so his salary is lower.
結果,他只能大材小用地做著現有的工作,薪水也比以前低了。
He now works three jobs to earn enough to survive.
現在,他必須同時做3份工作,以掙錢來維持原有的生活水平。
I have watched people playing CASHFLOW complaining that the right opportunity cards are not coming their way.
我常聽到“現金流”游戲的一些玩家抱怨說“機會”卡總是不來光顧他們。
So they sit there. I know people who do that in real life. They wait for the right opportunity.
于是,他們就坐在那里邊發牢騷邊等待。我知道他們在現實生活中也會這么做——坐等好機會的到來。
I have watched people get the right opportunity card and then not have enough money.
我也見過有人得到了“機會”卡卻沒有足夠的錢抓住這個機會。
Then they complain that they would have gotten out of the Rat Race if they had had more money.
于是,他們慨嘆要是有足夠的錢就一定能在“老鼠賽跑”中取勝,所以他們也在那里坐等。
So they sit there. I know people in real life who do that also.
我知道在現實生活中他們也會做同樣的事情。
They see all the great deals, but they have no money.
眼看著有許多大生意可做,手頭上卻沒有錢。
And I have seen people pull a great opportunity card, read it out loud, and have no idea that it is a great opportunity.
我還見過有人抽到一張“機會”卡,大聲讀出來后卻懵然不知那是一個好機會。
They have the money, the time is right, they have the card, but they can’t see the opportunity staring at them.
他們手上有錢,時機正好,又擁有“機會”卡,但他們看不到機會之光已經照在自己頭上。
They fail to see how it fits into their financial plan for escaping the Rat Race.
他們不懂得應該如何調整自己的財務計劃,從而脫離“老鼠賽跑”的陷阱。
And I know more people like that than all the others combined.
我還發現,大部分人只存在上述某一種問題,只有很少的人才同時存在上面幾個問題。