Every four years, our nation's attention turns to a competition that's as heated as it is historic.
每四年,我國的注意力轉向一場歷史性的激烈競賽。
People pack arenas and wave flags. Journalists judge every move and overanalyze every misstep.
人們集聚運動場揮舞彩旗。記者們解說著每一個動作不會放過場上任何失誤。
Sometimes we're let down, but more often we're lifted up.
有時我們會失望,但更多的是興致勃勃。
And just when we think we've seen it all, we see something happen in a race that we've never seen before.
當我們以為已經盡收眼底時,卻看到了過去比賽中從未見過的事情。
I'm talking, of course, about the Summer Olympics.
當然,我談的是夏季奧運會。
This month, Rio is hosting the first-ever Games held in South America - and we're ready to root on Team USA.
本月,在南美洲的里約首次主辦了奧運會,我們要為美國隊加油。
We're excited to see who will inspire us this time; whose speed will remind us of Jesse Owens;
我們興奮地觀賞此時將激動人心的人物,談速度想起杰西·歐文斯,
whose feats will remind us of Bob Beamon's amazing jump?
論跳遠想起鮑勃·比蒙那驚天一跳!
Which young American will leave us awestruck, the way a teenager named Kerri Strug did when she stuck that landing,
哪位年輕的美國人會讓我們肅然起敬? 是在路上拄拐棍的體操少女克里·斯特魯格,
and when another kid named Cassius Clay gave the world its first glimpse of greatness?
抑或另一位舉世聞名的拳王男孩阿里?
Who will match Mary Lou Retton's perfection; or pull off an upset like Rulon Gardner's; or dominate like the Dream Team?
誰將對陣體操全能的瑪麗·盧·雷頓;或摔跤扳倒魯倫?加德納;或俯視夢之隊?
That's why we watch. And we have a lot to look forward to this year.
因而我們要觀看。而且今年我們有很多期待。
Team USA reminds the world why America always sets the gold standard:
美國隊提醒世界,為什么美國總是設置金牌標準:
We're a nation of immigrants that finds strength in our diversity and unity in our national pride.
我們作為移民國家的多樣性和團結性的力量有引以自豪。
Our athletes hail from 46 states, D.C., and the Virgin Islands.
我們的運動員來自 46 個州,特區和原始島嶼。
Our team boasts the most women who have ever competed for any nation at any Olympic Games.
我們引以為榮的是,每屆奧運會美國女運動員都是參賽國最多的。
It includes active-duty members of our military and our veterans.
它包括我們的軍隊中的現役軍人以及退伍軍人。