He turned to look and behold, there in the darkness stood two big black shadows, wrapped from head to footing black sacks.
他回頭一看,就看見黑暗中站著兩個巨大的黑影,從頭到腳用黑口袋裹著。
Two figures leaped toward him as softly as if they were ghosts.
這是兩個人朝他跳過來,腳步輕的像兩個鬼魂。
"Here they come!" Pinocchio said to himself, and, not knowing where to hide the gold pieces, he stuck all four of them under his tongue.
“他們來了!”皮諾喬心里說了一聲。他不知把金幣藏到哪兒好,于是把四個金幣全塞在舌頭底下。
He tried to run away, but hardly had he taken a step,
他試著逃走,可是剛邁腿
when he felt his arms grasped and heard two horrible, deep voices say to him: "Your money or your life!"
就覺得胳膊被抓住了,并聽到兩個可怕低沉的聲音對他說:“要錢還是要命!”
On account of the gold pieces in his mouth, Pinocchio could not say a word,
因為嘴里塞著金幣,皮諾喬沒法回答。
so he tried with head and handstand body to show, as best he could, that he was only a poor Marionette without a penny in his pocket.
于是他試著用腦袋和倒立來盡可能的展示——他是個窮木偶,口袋里連一分錢也沒有。
"Come, come, less nonsense, and out with your money!"cried the two thieves in threatening voices.
“拿出來,拿出來!別裝傻了,把錢拿出來!”兩個強盜恐嚇著大叫。
Once more, Pinocchio's head and hands said, "I haven't a penny."
再一次,皮諾喬用頭和手表示:“我一分錢都沒有。”
"Out with that money or you're a dead man," said the taller of the two Assassins.
“不把錢拿出來就要你的命,”高的那個殺人強盜說。
"Dead man," repeated the other.
“要你的命!”另一個跟著又說了一遍。
"And after having killed you, we will kill your father also."
“殺完了你,還要你父親的命!”
"Your father also!"
“還要你父親的命!”
"No, no, no, not my Father!" cried Pinocchio, wild with terror; but as he screamed, the gold pieces tinkled together in his mouth.
“別別別,別要我可憐爸爸的命!”皮諾喬恐懼焦急地大叫,可他這么一叫,嘴里的金幣就丁丁當當響起來了。