Unlike net worth-the difference between your assets and liabilities,
不像凈資產被定義為資產和負債間的差額那樣
which is often filled with a person's expensive junk and opinions of what things are worth.
這種定義常常與人們關于昂貴的古董以及某物值多少錢的觀點相連。
This definition creates the possibility for developing a truly accurate measurement.
這樣定義財富,就給了人們一種真實準確的財富衡量新方法。
I could now measure and really know where I was in terms of my goal to become financially independent.
現在我能衡量并且確切地知道我經濟獨立的目標已實現到哪一步了。
Although net worth often includes non-cash-producing assets, like
凈資產通常包括那些非現金資產
stuff you bought that now sits in your garage.
例如:你買回后堆在車庫里的原材料。
Wealth measures how much money your money is making and, therefore, your financial survivability.
財富則衡量著你的錢能夠掙多少錢,以及你的財務生存能力。
Wealth is the measure of the cash flow from the asset column compared with the expense column.
財富是將資產項產生的現金與支出項流出的現金進行比較而定的。
Let's use an example. Let's say I have cash flow from my asset column of $1,000 a month.
讓我們舉個例子。比如說我的資產每月可產生1000美元。
And I have monthly expenses of $2,000. What is my wealth?
,可我每月要支出2000美元,那我還有什么財富可言呢?
Let's go back to Buckminster Fuller's definition.
讓我們回到富勒的定義。
Using his definition, how many days forward can I survive?
以他的定義來看,我還能活幾天呢?
And let's assume a 30-day month.
按一個月30天來算
By that definition, I have enough cash flow for half a month.
根據他的定義,我只能活半個月。
When I achieve $2,000 a month cash flow from my assets, then I will be wealthy.
如果我每月能從資產項得到2000美元,那我就有財富了。
I now have income generated from assets each month that fully covers my monthly expenses.
現在每個月我從資產項得到的現金收入與支出等量。
If I want to increase my expenses, I first must increase my cash flow from assets to maintain this level of wealth.
如果我想增加支出,就必須先增加資產項產生的現金來維持我的財富水平。
Take notice that it is at this point that I'm no longer dependent on my wages.
注意,這時我不再依賴工資。
I have focused on, and been successful in, building an asset column that has made me financially independent.
我集中精力建立資產項,并取得了成功,它使我實現了財務自由。
If I quit my job today, I would be able to cover my monthly expenses with the cash flow from my assets.
如果我辭職了,我也能用每月資產項產生的現金維持支出。
My next goal would be to have the excess cash flow from my assets reinvested into the asset column.
我的下個目標是用資產項中的剩余現金進行再投資。
The more money that goes into my asset column, the more my asset column grows.
流入資產項的錢越多,資產就增加得越快。
The more my assets grow, the more my cash flow grows.
資產增加得越快,現金流進來的就越多。
And as long as I keep my expenses less than the cash flow from these assets,
只要我把支出控制在資產項能夠產生的現金之下
I will grow richer with more and more income from sources other than my physical labor.
我就會越來越富有,也會有越來越多的非勞動收入。
As this reinvestment continues, I am well on my way to being rich.
隨著這種再投資過程的不斷繼續,我最終走上了致富之路。
So how do I start minding my own business?
那么我該怎樣開始我的事業呢?
What is the answer? Listen to the founder of McDonald's.
答案是什么呢?請聽麥當勞的創立者是怎么說的。