I like our chances now.Well, consider the obstacles we would face.
我覺得現在我們還是有機會的 想一想可能面臨的困難
The aforementioned two-thirds majority needed to pass an amendment.
我之前說過 通過一項修正案需要三分之二人的同意
We have a Republican majority,but barely more than fifty percent.Fifty-six.
我們爭取到了共和黨的大多數 不過也就一半多一點 百分之五十六
We need Democratic support.There's none to be had.
我們需要民主黨的支持 而目前一個都爭取不到
Since the House last voted on the amendment,there's been an election.
上次針對修正案的投票以后 眾議院有過一次選舉
Sixty-four Democrats lost their House seats in November,that's sixty-four Democrats looking for work come March.I know.
64位民主黨員于十一月離開了眾議院 也就是說三月會新來64名民主黨人 我知道
They don't need to worry about re-election,they can vote however it suits'em.
他們不用擔心改選 因此他們可以根據自身利益投票
But we can't buy the vote for the amendment,it's too important.
但我們不能收買投票人 修正案太重要了
I said nothing of buying anything.We need twenty votes was all I said.
我可沒提過收買 我只是說還需要20票
Start of my second term,plenty of positions to fill.
我的下個任期伊始之時 可是有不少職位虛位以待呢
Mr. President, may I present Mr. And Mrs. Jolly who've come from Missouri to From Jeff City, President.
總統先生 這是喬利夫婦 他們來自密蘇里州 杰佛遜市 總統
Mr. Jolly. Ma'am.This by the fire is Secretary of State Seward.Jeff City.
喬利先生 夫人 壁爐邊這位是蘇厄德國務卿 杰佛遜市
I heard tell once of a Jefferson City lawyer,who had a parrot that'd wake him each morning,
我聽說過一個杰佛遜市的律師 養了一只每天早上叫他起床的鸚鵡
crying out,Today is the day the world shall end as scripture has foretold.
鸚鵡每天都喊 今天就是圣經預言的末日
And one day, the lawyer shot him for the sake of peace and quiet, I presume,
有一天 律師開槍打死了它 也許是為了耳根清凈吧
thus fulfilling, for the bird at least, its prophecy.
不過至少對于鸚鵡來說 這預言應驗了