Oh, you are quite a lady, Miss Jane!
啊,你是個大家閨秀啦,簡小姐!
I knew you would be.
我早知道你會的。
you will get on whether your relations notice you or not.
不管你的親戚理不理你,照樣會有長進。
There was something I wanted to ask you.
我有件事兒要問你。
Have you ever heard anything from your father's kinsfolk, the Eyres?
你父親的親屬,有沒有寫過信給你,就是那些姓愛的人?
Never in my life.
這輩子還沒有。
Well, you know Missis always said they were poor and quite despicable:
啊,你知道太太常說,他們又窮又讓人瞧不起。
And they may be poor; but I believe they are as much gentry as the Reeds are;
窮倒是可能的,但我相信他們像里德家的人一樣有紳士派頭。

For one day, nearly seven years ago, a Mr. Eyre came to Gateshead and wanted to see you.
大約七年前的一天,一位愛先生來到蓋茨黑德,而且要見見你。
Missis said you were at school fifty miles off.
太太說你在五十英里外的學校里。
He seemed so much disappointed, for he could not stay.
他好像很失望,因為他不能多呆。
He was going on a voyage to a foreign country, and the ship was to sail from London in a day or two.
他要乘船到外國去,一兩天后從倫敦開航。
He looked quite a gentleman, and I believe he was your father's brother.
他看上去完全像個紳士,我想他是你父親的兄弟。
What foreign country was he going to, Bessie?
他上國外哪個國家,貝茜?
An island thousands of miles off, where they make wine — the butler did tell me...
幾千英里外的一個島,那兒出產酒 — 管家告訴我的。
"Madeira?" I suggested.
“馬德拉島?”我提醒了一下。
Yes, that is it — that is the very word.
對,就是這地方 — 就是這幾個字。
So he went?
那他走了?
Yes, he did not stay many minutes in the house:
是的,他在屋里沒有呆上幾分鐘。
Missis was very high with him;
太太對他很傲慢。
She called him afterwards a sneaking tradesman.
后來她把他叫作一個狡猾的生意人.
My Robert believes he was a wine-merchant.
我那位羅伯特估計他是個酒商。
"Very likely," I returned; "or perhaps clerk or agent to a wine-merchant."
“很可能,”我回答,“或者酒商的職員或代理人。”
Bessie and I conversed about old times an hour longer, and then she was obliged to leave me.
貝茜和我又談了一個鐘頭的往事,后來,她不得不告辭了。
I saw her again for a few minutes the next morning at Lowton, while I was waiting for the coach.
第二天在洛頓侯車時又見了她五分鐘。
We parted finally at the door of the Brocklehurst Arms there. Each went her separate way.
最后我們在布洛克赫斯特紋章旅店的門邊分手,各走各的路,
She set off for the brow of Lowood Fell to meet the conveyance which was to take her back to Gateshead.
她動身去羅沃德山崗搭車回蓋茨黑德。
I mounted the vehicle which was to bear me to new duties and a new life in the unknown environs of Millcote.
而我登上了車子,讓它把我帶往米爾科特那個陌生的郊區,從事新的使命,開始新的生活。