A new chapter in a novel is something like a new scene in a play.
一部小說中新的一章,有些像一出戲中的新的一場。
And when I draw up the curtain this time, reader,
這回我拉開幕布的時候,讀者,
you must fancy you see a room in the George Inn at Millcote, with such large figured papering on the walls as inn rooms have.
你一定會想象,你看到的是米爾科特喬治旅店中的一個房間。這里同其他旅店的陳設相同,一樣的大圖案墻紙。
Such a carpet, such furniture, such ornaments on the mantelpiece, such prints,
一樣的地毯,一樣的家具,一樣的壁爐擺設,一樣的圖片,
including a portrait of George the Third,
其中一幅是喬治三世的肖像,
and another of the Prince of Wales, and a representation of the death of Wolfe.
另一幅是威爾士親王的肖像還有一幅畫的是沃爾夫之死。
All this is visible to you by the light of an oil lamp hanging from the ceiling,
借著懸掛在天花板上的油燈和壁爐的熊熊火光,
and by that of an excellent fire, near which I sit in my cloak and bonnet.
你可以看得見這一切。

My muff and umbrella lie on the table,
我把皮手筒和傘放在桌上,
and I am warming away the numbness and chill contracted by sixteen hours' exposure to the rawness of an October day.
披著斗篷戴著帽子坐在火爐旁,讓自己在十月陰冷的天氣里暴露了十六個小時、凍得了僵的身子暖和過來。
I left Lowton at four o' clock a. m. , and the Millcote town clock is now just striking eight.
我昨天下午四點離開洛頓,而這時米爾科特鎮的時鐘正敲響八點。
Reader, though I look comfortably accommodated, I am not very tranquil in my mind.
讀者,我雖然看來安頓得舒舒服服,但內心卻并不平靜。
I thought when the coach stopped here there would be some one to meet me.
我以為車子一停就會有人來接我。
I looked anxiously round as I descended the wooden steps the "boots" placed for my convenience,
從腳夫為我方便而搭的木板上走下來時,我焦急地四顧,
expecting to hear my name pronounced, and to see some description of carriage waiting to convey me to Thornfield.
盼著聽到有人叫我的名字,希望看到有輛馬車等候著把我送往桑菲爾德。
Nothing of the sort was visible.
然而卻不見這類動靜。
And when I asked a waiter if any one had been to inquire after a Miss Eyre, I was answered in the negative.
我問一位侍者是否有人來探問過一個愛小姐,得到的回答是沒有。
So I had no resource but to request to be shown into a private room.
我無可奈何地請他們把我領到一間僻靜的房間。
And here I am waiting, while all sorts of doubts and fears are troubling my thoughts.
一面等待著,一面疑竇叢生,愁腸百結,心里十分不安。
It is a very strange sensation to inexperienced youth to feel itself quite alone in the world,
對一位涉世未深的年輕人來說,一種奇怪的感受是體會到自己在世上孑然一身:
cut adrift from every connection, uncertain whether the port to which it is bound can be reached,
一切聯系已被割斷,能否抵達目的港又無把握,
and prevented by many impediments from returning to that it has quitted.
要返回出發點則障礙重重。
The charm of adventure sweetens that sensation,
冒險的魅力使這種感受愉快甜蜜,
the glow of pride warms it, but then the throb of fear disturbs it.
自豪的激情使它溫暖,但隨后的恐懼又使之不安。
And fear with me became predominant when half-an-hour elapsed and still I was alone.
半小時過去,我依然孤單一人時,恐懼心理壓倒了一切。
I bethought myself to ring the bell.
我決定去按鈴。
"Is there a place in this neighbourhood called Thornfield?"
"這里附近有沒有個叫‘桑菲爾德’的地方,”
I asked of the waiter who answered the summons.
我問應召而來的侍者。
Thornfield? I don't know, ma 'am. I'll inquire at the bar.
桑菲爾德?我不知道,小姐。讓我到酒巴去打聽一下吧。