“A new servitude! There is something in that,” I soliloquised (mentally, be it understood. I did not talk aloud).
“一種新的苦役!這有一定道理,”我自言自語(要知道,只是心里想想,沒有說出口來)。
“I know there is, because it does not sound too sweet;
“我知道是有道理,因為它并不十分動聽,
It is not like such words as Liberty, Excitement, Enjoyment.
不像自由、興奮、享受這些詞,
Delightful sounds truly, but no more than sounds for me;
它們的聲音確實很悅耳,而且那么空虛和短暫,
and so hollow and fleeting that it is mere waste of time to listen to them.
聽這些徒然是浪費時間。
But Servitude! That must be matter of fact.
但是這苦役卻全然不同!它畢竟是實實在在的。
Any one may serve. I have served here eight years.
任何個人都可以服苦役。我在這兒已經服了八年。
Now all I want is to serve elsewhere.
現在我所期求的不過是到別處去服役。
Can I not get so much of my own will?
難道我連這點愿望也達不到?
Is not the thing feasible?
難道這事不可行?

Yes — yes — the end is not so difficult; if I had only a brain active enough to ferret out the means of attaining it.
是呀,是呀,要達到目的并非難事,只要我肯動腦筋,找到達到目的之手段。
I sat up in bed by way of arousing this said brain.
我從床上坐起來,以便開動腦筋。
it was a chilly night.
這是一個寒冷的夜晚。
I covered my shoulders with a shawl, and then I proceeded to think again with all my might.
我在肩上圍了塊披巾,隨后便全力以赴地進一步思考起來。
“What do I want? A new place, in a new house, amongst new faces, under new circumstances.
“我需要什么呢?在新的環境、新的面孔、新的房子中一個新的工作。
I want this because it is of no use wanting anything better.
我只要這個,因為好高鶩遠是徒勞無益的。
How do people do to get a new place?
人們怎樣才能找到一個新工作呢?
They apply to friends, I suppose.
我猜想他們求助于朋友。
I have no friends.
但我沒有朋友。
There are many others who have no friends,
很多沒有朋友的人
who must look about for themselves and be their own helpers, and what is their resource?”
只好自己動手去找工作,自己救自己,他們采用什么辦法呢?”
I could not tell. Nothing answered me.
我說不上來,找不到答案。
I then ordered my brain to find a response, and quickly.
隨后我責令自己的頭腦找到一個回答,而且要快。
It worked and worked faster.
我動著腦筋,越動越快。
I felt the pulses throb in my head and temples,
我感到我的腦袋和太陽穴在搏動著。
but for nearly an hour it worked in chaos, and no result came of its efforts.
但將近一個小時,我的腦子亂七八糟,一切努力毫無結果。
Feverish with vain labour, I got up and took a turn in the room.
我因為徒勞無功而心亂加麻,便立起身來,在房間里轉了轉。
Undrew the curtain, noted a star or two, shivered with cold, and again crept to bed.
拉開窗簾,望見一兩顆星星,在寒夜中顫抖,我再次爬到床上。
A kind fairy, in my absence, had surely dropped the required suggestion on my pillow.
準是有一位善良的仙女,趁我不在時把我需要的主意放到了我枕頭上。
For as I lay down, it came quietly and naturally to my mind.
因為我躺下時,這主意悄悄地、自然而然地閃入我腦際。
Those who want situations advertise. You must advertise in the —shire Herald.
凡是謀職的人都登廣告,你必須在《××郡先驅報》上登廣告。
How? I know nothing about advertising.
怎么登呢?我對廣告一無所知。
Replies rose smooth and prompt now:
回答來得自然而又及時:
“You must enclose the advertisement and the money to pay for it under a cover directed to the editor of the Herald.
你必須把廣告和廣告費放在同一個信封里,寄給《先驅報》的編輯。
You must put it, the first opportunity you have, into the post at Lowton.
你必須立即抓住第一個機會把信投到洛頓郵局。
Answers must be addressed to J.E. , at the post-office there.
回信務必寄往那里郵局的J.E.。
You can go and inquire in about a week after you send your letter, if any are come, and act accordingly.
信寄出后一個星期,你可以去查詢。要是來了回音,那就隨之行動。
This scheme I went over twice, thrice. It was then digested in my mind.
我把這個計劃琢磨了二三回。接著便消化在腦子里。
I had it in a clear practical form.
我非常清晰地把它具體化了。
I felt satisfied, and fell asleep.
我很滿意,不久便酣然入睡。