Miss Temple, through all changes, had thus far continued superintendent of the seminary.
坦普爾小姐歷經種種變遷,一直擔任著校長的職位。
To her instruction I owed the best part of my acquirements.
我所取得的最好成績歸功于她的教誨。
Her friendship and society had been my continual solace.
同她的友誼和交往始終是對我的慰藉。
She had stood me in the stead of mother, governess, and, latterly, companion.
她擔當了我的母親和家庭教師的角色,后來成了我的伙伴。
At this period she married, removed with her husband (a clergyman, an excellent man, almost worthy of such a wife)
這時候,她結了婚,隨她的丈夫(一位牧師、一個出色的男人,幾乎與這樣一位妻子相般配)
to a distant county, and consequently was lost to me.
遷往一個遙遠的郡,結果同我失去了聯系。
From the day she left I was no longer the same.
打從她離開的那天起,我已不再同原來一樣了。
With her was gone every settled feeling, every association that had made Lowood in some degree a home to me.
她一走,那種己經確立了的使羅沃德有幾分像家的感情和聯系,都隨之消失。
I had imbibed from her something of her nature and much of her habits.
我從她那兒吸收了某些個性和很多習慣。

More harmonious thoughts. What seemed better regulated feelings had become the inmates of my mind.
比較和諧的思想,比較有節制的感情,已經在我的頭腦里生根。
I had given in allegiance to duty and order.
我決意忠于職守,服從命令。
I was quiet. I believed I was content.
我很文靜,相信自己十分滿足。
To the eyes of others, usually even to my own, I appeared a disciplined and subdued character.
在別人的眼中,甚至在我自己看來,我似乎是一位懂規矩守本份的人。
But destiny, in the shape of the Rev. Mr. Nasmyth, came between me and Miss Temple.
但是命運化作牧師內史密斯把我和坦普爾小組分開了。
I saw her in her travelling dress step into a post-chaise, shortly after the marriage ceremony.
我見她身著行裝在婚禮后不久跨進一輛驛站馬車。
I watched the chaise mount the hill and disappear beyond its brow,
我凝視著馬車爬上小山,消失在陡坡后面。
and then retired to my own room,
隨后我回到了自己的房間,
and there spent in solitude the greatest part of the half-holiday granted in honour of the occasion.
在孤寂中度過了為慶祝這一時刻而放的半假日的絕大部分時間。
I walked about the chamber most of the time.
大部分時候我在房間里躑躅。
I imagined myself only to be regretting my loss, and thinking how to repair it.
我本以為自己只對損失感到遺憾,并考慮如何加以補救。
But when my reflections were concluded, and I looked up and found that the afternoon was gone,
但當我結束了思考,抬頭看到下午已經逝去,
and evening far advanced, another discovery dawned on me, namely, that in the interval I had undergone a transforming process.
夜色正濃時,驀地我有了新的發現。那就是在這一間隙,我經歷了一個變化的過程。
That my mind had put off all it had borrowed of Miss Temple,
我的心靈丟棄了我從坦普爾小姐那兒學來的東西,
or rather that she had taken with her the serene atmosphere I had been breathing in her vicinity,
或者不如說她帶走了我在她身邊所感受到的寧靜氣息,
and that now I was left in my natural element, and beginning to feel the stirring of old emotions.
現在我又恢復了自己的天性,感到原有的情緒開始萌動了。
It did not seem as if a prop were withdrawn, but rather as if a motive were gone.
我并不是失去了支柱,而是失去了動機。
It was not the power to be tranquil which had failed me, but the reason for tranquillity was no more.
并不是無力保持平靜,而是需要保持平靜的理由己不復存在。
My world had for some years been in Lowood.
幾年來,我的世界就在羅沃德。
My experience had been of its rules and systems.
我的經歷就是學校的規章制度。
Now I remembered that the real world was wide, and that a varied field of hopes and fears, of sensations and excitements,
而現在我記起來了,真正的世界無限廣闊,一個變滿著希望與憂煩,
awaited those who had courage to go forth into its expanse, to seek real knowledge of life amidst its perils.
刺激與興奮的天地等待著那些有膽識的人,去冒各種風險,追求人生的真諦。