The next day she laid the affair before Mr. Brocklehurst,
第二天,她向布羅克赫斯特先生提出了這件事,
who said that Mrs. Reed must be written to, as she was my natural guardian.
而他說必須寫信通知里德太太,因為她是我的當然監護人。
A note was accordingly addressed to that lady, who returned for answer, that I might do as I pleased.
結果便向那位太太發了封簡函。她回信說,一切悉聽尊便。
She had long relinquished all interference in my affairs.
她已久不干預我的事務了。
This note went the round of the committee, and at last,
這封信函在委員會里傳閱,
after what appeared to me most tedious delay, formal leave was given me to better my condition if I could.
并經過了在我看來是極其今人厭煩的拖延后,我終于得到了正式許可,在可能情況下改善自己的處境。

And an assurance added, that as I had always conducted myself well, both as teacher and pupil, at Lowood,
附帶還保證,由于我在羅沃德當教師和當學生時,一向表現很好,
a testimonial of character and capacity, signed by the inspectors of that institution, should forthwith be furnished me.
為此即將為我提供一份由學校督導簽字的品格和能力證明書。
This testimonial I accordingly received in about a month, forwarded a copy of it to Mrs. Fairfax,
大約一周以后,我收到了這份證明,抄寄了一份給費爾法克斯太太,
and got that lady's reply, stating that she was satisfied,
并得到了那位太太的回復,說是對我感到滿意,
and fixing that day fortnight as the period for my assuming the post of governess in her house.
并定于兩周后我去那位太太家擔任家庭教師。
I now busied myself in preparations:
現在我忙于作準備了。
The fortnight passed rapidly.
兩周時間一晃而過。
I had not a very large wardrobe, though it was adequate to my wants;
我的衣裝不多,只是夠穿罷了。
And the last day sufficed to pack my trunk, the same I had brought with me eight years ago from Gateshead.
最后一天也完全夠我整理箱子,還是八年前從蓋茨黑德帶來的那一只。
The box was corded, the card nailed on.
箱子已用繩子捆好,貼上了標簽。
In half-an-hour the carrier was to call for it to take it to Lowton,
半小時之后有腳夫來把它取走,送往洛頓,
whither I myself was to repair at an early hour the next morning to meet the coach.
我自己則第二天一早要趕到那里去等公共馬車。
I had brushed my black stuff travelling-dress, prepared my bonnet, gloves, and muff.
我刷好了我的黑呢旅行裝,備好帽子、手套和皮手筒。
Sought in all my drawers to see that no article was left behind.
把所有的抽屜翻了一遍,免得丟下什么東西。
And now having nothing more to do, I sat down and tried to rest.
此刻,我已無事可做,便想坐下來休息一下。
I could not; though I had been on foot all day, I could not now repose an instant.
但我做不到,盡管我已奔忙了一整天,卻一刻也無法休息。
I was too much excited.
我太興奮了。
A phase of my life was closing tonight, a new one opening tomorrow.
我生活的一個階段今晚就要結束,明天將開始一個新的階段。
Impossible to slumber in the interval; I must watch feverishly while the change was being accomplished.
在兩者的間隙,我難以入睡,我必須滿腔熱情地觀看這變化的完成。
"Miss," said a servant who met me in the lobby,
“小姐,”一個在門廳碰到我的仆人說。
where I was wandering like a troubled spirit, "a person below wishes to see you."
這會兒我正像一個不安的幽靈似地在那里徘徊,“樓下有個人要見你。
"The carrier, no doubt," I thought, and ran downstairs without inquiry.
“準是腳夫,”我想,問也沒問一聲就奔下了樓去。
I was passing the back-parlour or teachers' sitting-room, the door of which was half open, to go to the kitchen,
我正經過半開著的后客廳,也就是教師休息室,向廚房走去,
when some one ran out:"It's her, I am sure! — I could have told her anywhere!"
有人卻從里面跑了出來:“準是她!在哪兒我都認得出她來!”
cried the individual who stopped my progress and took my hand.
那人攔住我,一把抓過我的手叫道。
I looked. I saw a woman attired like a well-dressed servant, matronly,
我定睛一看,見是一個少婦,穿戴得像一個衣著講究的仆人,一付已婚婦女模樣,
yet still young, very good-looking, with black hair and eyes, and lively complexion.
卻不失年輕漂亮,頭發和眸子烏黑,臉色紅潤。