We didn't get our authority from the board of selectmen
我們既沒有得到行政委員會的授權
or the emergency management director or the United Way.
也沒有被應急辦主任或是Uited Way批準
We just started answering questions and making decisions because someone, anyone, had to.
我們只不過開始回答問題并且做出決定,因為必須有人這么做
And why not me? I'm a campaign organizer.
為什么這個人不是我?我是選舉組織者
I'm good at Facebook.
我玩Facebook玩的很好
And there's two of me.
而且我有兩個賬號
The point is, if there's a flood or a fire or a hurricane,
重點是,只要發生洪水,火災,或者颶風,
you, or somebody like you, are going to step up and start organizing things.
你,或者像你一樣的人,都會站出來組織救災
The other point is that it is hard.
不過當中充滿困難
Lying on the ground after another 17-hour day,
又一次工作了17個小時之后躺在地上,
Caitria and I would empty our pockets and try to place dozens of scraps of paper into context --
Caitria和我掏空口袋,努力把掏出的紙片上的信息整理出來
all bits of information that had to be remembered and matched in order to help someone.
任何值得記住和需要匹配的信息,為了幫助別人
After another day and a shower at the shelter, we realized it shouldn't be this hard.
又過了一天,在避難所洗了個澡,我們意識到事情不應該這么困難
In a country like ours where we breathe wi-fi,
在我們這樣的國家可以享受無線網絡服務
leveraging technology for a faster recovery should be a no-brainer.
利用科技去加速重建應該很簡單
Systems like the ones that we were creating on the fly could exist ahead of time.
像我們在飛機上建立的那種系統能提前做好準備
And if some community member is in this organizing position in every area after every disaster,
如果有社區居民,無論在哪兒,每次災難后都挺身而出
these tools should exist.
這些辦法就會存在
So we decided to build them -- a recovery in a box,
因此我們決定去為他們--創建一個"重建箱"
something that could be deployed after every disaster by any local organizer.
它裝著一套在災難后可以被當地人利用的東西
I decided to stay in the country,
我決定留在自己的國家
give up the master's in Moscow and to work full-time to make this happen.
而不去莫斯科讀碩士,然后全力為實現這一目標努力
In the course of the past year, we've become experts in the field of community-powered disaster recovery.
通過去年的經歷,我們成為了社區支援災害救助領域的專家
And there are three main problems that we've observed with the way things work currently.
我們觀察到三個主要問題,它們有關目前的工作方式
The tools. Large aid organizations are exceptional at bringing massive resources to bear after a disaster,
首先是工具,大型救助組織提供了重要的災后補給資源
but they often fulfill very specific missions and then they leave.
但是通常在完成特定任務之后就離開了
This leaves local residents to deal with the thousands of spontaneous volunteers, thousands of donations,
這使居民需要自己處理涌入的志愿者和物資
and all with no training and no tools.
他們沒有經驗和工具
So they use Post-its or Excel or Facebook.
所以他們才用即時貼,Excel或者Facebook
But none of these tools allow you to value high-priority information amidst all of the photos and well wishes.
但這些會影響你從圖片和祝福中甄別重要信息
The timing.
第二是時間的把握
Disaster relief is essentially a backwards political campaign.
災難救助其實是政治選舉的反過程
In a political campaign, you start with no interest and no capacity to turn that into action.
在一場政治選舉中,開始你沒有興趣和能力去實踐
You build both gradually until a moment of peak mobilization at the time of the election.
后來興趣和能力逐漸累積,直到在選舉當天達到頂點
In a disaster, however, you start with all of the interest and none of the capacity.
在一場災難當中,你則是從興趣出發而不是能力
And you've only got about seven days to capture
并且你只有7天的時間去搜羅...
50 percent of all of the Web searches that will ever be made to help your area.
可以利用的那50%的網絡信息,去幫助你所在的地區
Then some sporting event happens,
然后遇到一些事情需要冒險
and you've got only the resources that you've collected thus far to meet the next five years of recovery needs.
可是你只能用手頭有限的資源去應對災后5年的重建需要
This is the slide for Katrina.
屏幕上是卡特里娜颶風
This is the curve for Joplin.
這是橋普林
And this is the curve for the Dallas tornadoes in April where we deployed software.
這是四月份達拉斯的龍卷風,我們用軟件進行了分析
There's a gap here.
這里有個缺口
Affected households have to wait for the insurance adjuster to visit before they can start accepting help on their properties.
受損家庭必須先等保險公司勘察之后,才能接受援助保護財產
And you've only got about four days of interest in Dallas.
而且在達拉斯,熱情只持續了只有四天