So for example, one of the things that we learn when we are dealing with being a percussion player, as opposed to a musician,is basically straightforward single stroke rolls.
舉個例子,我們曾經學過一種演奏方法,作為一個打擊樂演奏家,而并非音樂家,當我們處理音樂的時候就是最基本的單擊滾奏。
Like that. And then we get a little faster and a little faster and a little faster.
像這樣。然后快一些,再快一些,再快一些。
And so on and so forth. What does this piece require?
諸如此類,這段該怎樣呢?

Single stroke rolls. So why can't I then do that whilst learning a piece of music?
單擊滾奏。 那么為什么我不可以在學一段音樂的首用這種手法呢?
And that's exactly what he did.
那正是他所做的。
And interestingly, the older I became, and when I became a full-time student at a so called music institution, all of that went out of the window.
有意思的是,隨著年齡的增長,當我成為了專業學生以后在所謂的“音樂學院”,那些疑惑都消失了。
We had to study from study books.
我們開始學習書本。
And constantly, the question, Well, why? Why? What is this relating to?
“為什么?為什么?學這些有什么用呢?”這些問題常常出現在我的腦海里?
I need to play a piece of music. Oh, well, this will help your control!
我需要去演奏音樂?!班?,學習這些會幫住你學會控制!”
Well, how? Why do I need to learn that? I need to relate it to a piece of music.
那么,怎么用它學會控制?為什么我需要學這些?我需要把它和音樂聯系起來。
You know. I need to say something.
你知道,我需要說些什么。
Why am I practicing paradiddles?
為什么我要練習復合式打點?
Is it just literally for control, for hand-stick control? Why am I doing that?
真的是為了很好地控制嗎?為了控制鼓棒?為什么我要這么做?
I need to have the reason,and the reason has to be by saying something through the music.
我需要知道答案,而答案需要通過音樂告知。
And by saying something through music, which basically is sound,we then can reach all sorts of things to all sorts of people.
通過音樂,實際上就是通過聲音,這樣一來,我們可以把所有的東西傳遞給所有的人。
But I don't want to take responsibility of your emotional baggage.
但我不想為大家的情緒包袱負責。
That's up to you, when you walk through a hall.
這由你決定,當你走進一座演奏大廳。
Because that then determines what and how we listen to certain things.
因為這樣,決定了我們怎樣去聽一些東西。