The Scroll Marked X
羊皮卷之十
Who is of so little faith
即使沒有信仰的人,
that in a moment of great disaster or heartbreak has not called to his God
遇到災難的時候,不是也呼求神的保佑嗎?
Who has not cried out when confronted with danger,
一個人在面臨危險、
death, or mystery beyond his normal experience or comprehension?
死亡或一些從未見過或無法理解的神秘之事時,不曾失聲大喊嗎?
From where has this deep instinct come which escapes from the mouth of all living creatures in moments of peril?
每一個生靈在危險的剎那都會脫口而出的這種強烈的本能是由何而生的呢?
Move your hand in haste before another's eyes and his eyelids will blink.
把你的手在別人眼前出其不意地揮一下,你會發現他的眼瞼本能地一眨;
Tap another on his knee and his leg will jump.
在他的膝蓋上輕輕一擊,他的腿會跳動;
Confront another with dark horror and his mouth will say, "My God"
他會本能地大叫一聲“天啊”,
from the same deep impulse.
如果你在黑暗中嚇一個朋友的話。
My life need not be filled with religion
不管你有沒有宗教信仰,
in order for me to recognize this greatest mystery of nature.
這些自然現象誰也無法否認。
All creatures that walk the earth,
世上的所有生物,
including man, possess the instinct to cry for help.
包括人類,都具有求助的本能。
Why do we possess this instinct, this gift?
為什么我們會有這種本能,這種恩賜呢?
Are not our cries a form of prayer?
我們發出的喊聲,不是一種祈禱的方式嗎?
Is it not incomprehensible in a world governed by nature's laws
人們無法理解,在一個受自然法則統治的世界里,
to give a lamb, or a mule, or a bird, or man the instinct to cry out for help
上蒼將這種求救的本能賜予了羊、驢子、小鳥、人類,
lest some great mind has also provided that the cry should be heard by some superior power
同時也規定這種求救的聲音應被一種超凡的力量聽到
having the ability to hear and to answer our cry?
并做出回應。
Henceforth I will pray,
從今往后,我要祈禱,
but my cries for help will only be cries for guidance.
但是我只求指點迷津。
Never will I pray for the material things of the world.
我從不求物質的滿足。
I am not calling to a servant to bring me food.
我不祈求有仆人為我送來食物,
I am not ordering an innkeeper to provide me with room.
不求屋舍、
Never will I seek delivery of gold,
金銀財寶、
love, good health, petty victories,
愛情、健康、小的勝利、
fame, success, or happiness.
名譽、成功或者幸福。
Only for guidance will I pray,
我只求得到指引,
that I may be shown the way to acquire these things,
指引我獲得這些東西的途徑,
and my prayer will always be answered.
我的禱告都有回音。
The guidance I seek may come,
我所祈求的指引,可能得到,
or the guidance I seek may not come,
也可能得不到,
but are not both of these an answer?
但這兩種結果不都是一種回音?
If a child seeks bread from his father
如果一個孩子問爸爸要面包,
and it is riot forthcoming
面包沒有到手,
has not the father answered?
這不也是父親的答復嗎?
I will pray for guidance,
我要祈求指導,
and I will pray as a salesman, in this manner
以一個推銷員的身份來祈禱
Oh creator of all things, help me.
萬能的主啊,幫助我吧!
For this day I go out into the world naked and alone,
今天,我獨自一人,赤條條地來到這個世上,
and without your hand to guide me
沒有您的雙手指引,
I will wander far from the path which leads to success and happiness.
我將遠離通向成功與幸福的道路。
I ask not for gold or garments or even opportunities equal to my ability;
我不求金錢或衣衫,甚至不求適合我能力的機遇,
instead, guide me. so that I may acquire ability equal to my opportunities.
我只求您引導我獲得適合機遇的能力。
You have taught the lion and the eagle how to hunt and prosper with teeth and claw.
您曾教獅子和雄鷹如何利用牙齒和利爪覓食。
Teach me how to hunt with words and prosper with love
求您教給我如何利用言辭謀生,如何借助愛心得興旺,
so that I may be a lion among men and an eagle in the market place.
使我能成為人中的獅子,商場上的雄鷹。