I never had an education myself.
我自己從未受過教育。
After second grade the school was closed down.
我上完小學二年級時,學校關門了。
Don't ask me why. In 1927 colored asked fewer questions than they do now.
別問我為什么:1927年時有色人種不像現在問這么多問題。
Sometimes Maggie reads to me.
有時麥姬給我讀點東西。
She stumbles along good-naturedly but can't see well.
她溫厚地、結結巴巴地讀者,因為她看不清楚。
She knows she is not bright.
她知道自己不聰明。
Like good looks and money, quickness passed her by.
正如姣好的相貌和金錢一樣,機敏也沒有光顧她。
She will marry John Thomas (who has mossy teeth in an earnest face) and then I'll be free to sit here and I guess just sing church songs to myself.
不久她就要嫁給約翰.托馬斯(他有一張誠實的面孔和一口像長了苔的牙齒)。
Although I never was a good singer. Never could carry a tune. I was always better at a man's job.
麥姬結婚后,我將閑坐在家里,也許只對自己唱唱教堂歌曲,盡管我從來唱不好,總是走調,我對于男人活兒倒是更在行。
I used to love to milk till I was hooked in the side in '49.
我一向喜歡擠牛奶,直到1949年我的肋部被牛頂傷了為止。
Cows are soothing and slow and don't bother you, unless you try to milk them the wrong way.
母牛生性恬靜、動作緩慢,不會傷害人,除非你擠奶時動作不得法。
I have deliberately turned my back on the house.
我故意背對這房子。
It is three rooms, just like the one that burned, except the roof is tin:
這房子有三個房間,除屋頂是錫皮的外,其他方面都與被燒掉的那所房屋一樣。
they don't make shingle roofs any more.
現在再也找不到做木瓦屋頂的了。
There are no real windows, just some holes cut in the sides, like the portholes in a ship, but not round and not square, with rawhide holding the shutter s up on the outside.
房子沒有真正的窗戶,只是側面墻上挖了幾個洞,有點像船上的舷窗,但又不是圓的,也不是方形的。窗格子向外開,用生牛皮懸吊起來。
This house is in a pasture, too, like the other one.
這房子也像那所被燒的房子一樣建在一個牧場上。