I once calculated that I did about 1, 000 hours' work in the three years I was at Oxford,an average of an hour a day.
我曾算過 我在牛津的三年里 做過1 000個小時的工作 平均每天一小時
I am not proud of this lack of work.
我不會因為不勤于工作而感到驕傲
I am just describing my attitude at the time an attitude that nothing was worth making an effort for.
我只是在描述我當時的態度 當時就覺得沒有什么是值得努力的
He used to produce his work every week for tutorial and, as he never kept any notes or papers or that sort of thing.
每個星期的課外輔導他都做些研究 因為他從來不保留筆記 草稿或者類似這些資料
on leaving my room, he would normally throw it in my wastepaper basket.
離開我房間的時候 他都把那些會扔到我的垃圾桶里
And when he was with other undergraduates at the tutorial.
當他和其他一些大學生一起做研究
and they saw this happen, they were absolutely horrified.
他們看到這些時 完全嚇壞了
'cause they thought, he did this work in probably half an hour.
因為他們認為 他只要半小時就完成的工作
If they could have done it in a year,they wouldn't have thrown it in the wastepaper basket.
如果他們能在一年內完成 他們都不會扔到廢紙簍里
They would've put it in a frame on their walls.
而是把它們裱起來掛到墻上
Because of my lack of work.I had planned to get through the final exam by doing problems in theoretical physics.
由于我疏于學習 我打算解決理論物理的問題 來通過我的期末考試
and avoiding any questions that required factual knowledge.I didn't do very well.
并避開需要事實性知識的問題 我做的不是很好
I was on the borderline between a first- and second-class degree.
我處在一等和二等學位的邊界
and I had to be interviewed to determine which I should get.
我不得不通過面試來決定我能夠獲得第幾等
They asked me about my future plans.I replied, if they gave me a first I would go to Cambridge.
他們詢問我的未來計劃 我回答到 如果他們給我第一等 我就會去劍橋大學
If I only got a second I would stay in Oxford.They gave me a first.
如果我獲得二等學位 我就留在牛津 他們給了我一等學位