But the question always with Stephen was "Should we make him the cox of the first eight or the second eight?"
但是史蒂芬的問題是 "我們應該讓他做第一批的八個舵手之一" "還是第二批"
Well, coxes can be adventurous and some coxes can be very steady people.
有些舵手比較冒險 有些則很沉穩
He was rather an adventurous type.
他屬于冒險的那一類
You never knew quite what he was going to do when he went out with the crew.
你永遠也不知道他接下來會干什么 當他和船員一起的時候
I think he used to bring his work with him into the boat sometimes.
他有時候會想些自己的事情
His sort of thinking gear was going on different levels.
在船上他思維的齒輪開始轉動 在不同層次上
We were asked to read chapter 10 in a book called Electricity and Magnetism..
我們被要求閱讀 一本書的第十章 書名叫電磁學
by Bleaney and Bleaney, an unlikely combination,a husband-and-wife team
由布里尼夫婦所著 一個不太可能的組合 他們是夫妻檔
and at the end of that chapter, there were 13 questions all of them final honors questions.
在第十章的最后部分 有13個問題 都是具有挑戰性的問題
I discovered very rapidly that I couldn't do any of them.
我很快發現我一個都不會做
Richard and I worked together for the week and we managed to do 1 1/2 questions which we felt very proud of.
理查德和我一起做了一個星期 我們做出了1道半 我們感到很驕傲
Gordon refused all assistance and managed to do one all by himself.
戈登拒絕外援 獨立做出了1道題
Stephen, as always, hadn't even started but the next morning, he went' up to his rooms at 9:00.
史蒂芬 像往常一樣 甚至還沒開始 但是第二天早上 他9點鐘進房間
And we came back about 12:00, maybe five past 12:00.
我們回來是12點 也可能是12點5分
and down came Stephen, and we were in the college gateway, the lodge.
史蒂芬隨后也來了 我們在大學門口的長廊碰到
"Ah, Hawking," I said, "how many have you managed to do, then?"
"霍金" 我說 "你做出了多少"
"Well," he said, "I've only had time to do the first ten."
"好吧" 他說 "我只有時間做前十道"
I think at that point we realized that it's not just we weren't in the same street.We weren't on the same planet.
在那一刻 我們認識到我們不僅僅不是一路人 我們根本就不是一類人