So, I just started playing.
于是,我開始拉琴
And I played the first movement of the Beethoven Violin Concerto.
我演奏了貝多芬小提琴協奏曲的第一樂章
And as I played, I understood that there was a profound change occurring in Nathaniel's eyes.
當我演奏的時候,我知道Nathaniel的眼睛里有一種奧妙的變化
It was as if he was in the grip of some invisible pharmaceutical,
好象他抓住了什么隱形的藥
a chemical reaction, for which my playing the music was its catalyst.
象是經歷了化學反應,而我的演奏就是催化劑
And Nathaniel's manic rage was transformed into understanding, a quiet curiosity and grace.
他的狂躁憤怒也轉化成理解,安靜的好奇,和優雅
And in a miracle, he lifted his own violin and he started playing, by ear,
神奇的是,他拿起了他的小提琴,他也跟著開始演奏
certain snippets of violin concertos
小提琴協奏曲的某些片斷
which he then asked me to complete -- Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius.
然后他又要我來完成,門德爾松,柴可夫斯基,西貝柳斯
And we started talking about music, from Bach to Beethoven and Brahms,
于是我們開始談論音樂:從巴赫到貝多芬,布拉姆斯
Bruckner, all the B's, from Bartok, all the way up to Esa-Pekka Salonen.
布魯克納,所有名字以B打頭的人,從巴托克一直到艾沙·佩卡·薩洛寧
And I understood that he not only had an encyclopedic knowledge of music,
我了解到他不但是一本音樂大百科全書
but he related to this music at a personal level.
而且他能將這些音樂跟他個人的感受聯系起來
He spoke about it with the kind of passion and understanding
他講到那些東西時充滿了激情和對音樂深刻的理解,
that I share with my colleagues in the Los Angeles Philharmonic.
仿佛是我跟我在洛杉磯交響樂團的同事們之間交流時一樣
And through playing music and talking about music,
通過演奏音樂,談論音樂
this man had transformed from the paranoid, disturbed man
這個人從一個偏執,不安的
that had just come from walking the streets of downtown Los Angeles
剛才還在洛杉磯大街上晃悠的流浪漢
to the charming, erudite, brilliant, Juilliard-trained musician.
變成了一個迷人,博學,優秀的受過朱麗亞音樂學院教育的音樂家
Music is medicine. Music changes us.
音樂是良藥。音樂改變著我們
And for Nathaniel, music is sanity.
對nathaniel來說,音樂是幫助他開啟心智
Because music allows him to take his thoughts and delusions
因為音樂可以幫他將他的思維,妄想,轉換成形,
and shape them through his imagination and his creativity, into reality.
通過他的想象力和創造力變成現實
And that is an escape from his tormented state.
而正是這個幫助他從煎熬中解脫出來
And I understood that this was the very essence of art.
而我知道這就是藝術的真髓
This was the very reason why we made music,
這正是我們創造音樂的原因
that we take something that exists within all of us at our very fundamental core,
我們用我們每個人都擁有的一種內在,我們的最根本的核心
our emotions, and through our artistic lens,
我們的感情,通過我們的藝術的鏡頭
through our creativity, we're able to shape those emotions into reality.
通過我們的創造力,將我們的情感塑造成現實
And the reality of that expression reaches all of us and moves us, inspires and unites us.
而這種現實的表達,傳遞給我們所有的人,感動我們,啟迪我們,團結我們
And for Nathaniel, music brought him back into a fold of friends.
而對Nathaniel,音樂把他帶回到一群朋友中
The redemptive power of music brought him back into a family of musicians
音樂的挽救力將他帶回到音樂的大家庭
that understood him, that recognized his talents and respected him.
這里人們理解他,承認他的天賦,尊重他
And I will always make music with Nathaniel,
而我會永遠為他創造音樂
whether we're at Walt Disney Concert Hall or on Skid Row, because he reminds me why I became a musician.
無論是在迪斯尼的音樂廳,或者Skid Row的大街上,因為他提示著我為什么我要做音樂家
Thank you.
謝謝