There's a famous test from Paul Graham called the Animal Test.
保羅·格雷厄姆有一個有名的試驗稱為動物試驗
Um, and, and the idea here is that you should be able to describe any employee as an animal at what they do.
核心思想是你得把員工做的事描述成一種動物
Um,and I don't think that probably translates out of English very well
用“動物試驗”來描述這種方法不是很直觀
but um, you know, you need unstoppable people.
你需要不可阻擋的人
Uh, you want, you want people that are just going to get it done.
你需要不達目的誓不罷休的人
Um, founders that end up being really happy with their early hires.
對早期招的人感到滿意的創業者
Usually end up describing these people as the very best in the world, at whatever they do.
他們常這樣來描述這些員工“不管做什么,他們都會是世界上最優秀的人”
Mark Zuckerberg once said uh, that he tries to hire people, that A,
馬克·扎克伯格曾經說過,在招人的過程中他會考慮兩點
that he would spend time with socially and B,
第一,他是否愿意花時間和這個人相處
that he'd be comfortable reporting to, if the roles were reversed.
第二,如果角色互換,他是否愿意為這個人工作

Um, this strikes me as a very good framework.
這讓我受益匪淺
You don't have to be friends with everybody,
你不必和每個人做朋友
but you should at least enjoy working with them.
但你至少應該享受和他們共事
And if you can't have that, you need to at least deeply respect them.
如果你不能做到,你至少要尊重他們
Um, but again, the, if you don't wanna spend a lot of time around people,
但再次強調,如果你不想花很多時間和人打交道
uh, you should sort of trust your instincts on that.
那你應該相信自己在這方面的直覺
While I'm on this topic of hiring uh, I want to talk about employee equity.
關于招聘這個主題,我還想談談員工股份
Founders screw this up all the time.
創業者總是把這個問題搞砸
Um, I think that as a rough guideline you should aim to give 10% of the company to the first ten employees.
我覺得作為一條粗略的方針,你應該計劃把公司10%的股份給前10位員工
Um, they have to earn it over four years anyway.
他們必須在四年的時間內讓這些股份變得有意義
And if they're successful,they're gonna contribute way more than that.
如果他們成功了,他們創造的價值遠多于10%的股份
Uh, they're gonna increase the value of the company by way more than that.
他們會為公司創造極大的財富
Um, and if not, then they won't be around anyway.
如果沒有成功,他們也不會待太久
So for whatever reason founders are usually very stingy with equity to employees and very generous with equity to investors.
不知是什么原因,在股份方面,創業者一般對員工都很吝嗇,對投資者很慷慨
And I think this is totally backwards, um, I think this is one of the things founders screw up the most often.
我覺得這完全顛倒了,這也是我認為創業者通常會搞砸的事情
You know, employees will only add more value over time.
員工會隨時間為公司增加更多價值
Investors sort of like write the check, and then despite a lot of big promises,
而投資者就像是寫支票,盡管他們會許下許多了不起的承諾
don't usually do that much.
但經常都不能做到
Sometimes they do.
雖然有時能做到
Um, but, but your employees are really the ones that build the company over years and years.
但你的員工才是年復一年幫助你打造公司的人
So I believe in like fighting with investors to reduce the amount of equity they get.
所以我認為,要和投資者力爭,減少他們得到的股份
Um, and then being as gen, generous as you possibly can with employees.
然后對你的員工慷慨些,盡可能對你的員工慷慨
Um, the YC companies that have done this well,
YC孵化的在這方面做得很好的公司
the YC companies that have been super generous with equity to early employees in general are the most succesful ones that we've funded.
對早期員工特別慷慨的那些公司,通常都是非常成功的