Um, sources of candidates, this is another thing that students get wrong a lot.
下面說,候選人來源。這是另一個學生會犯錯的地方
Um, the best source by far for hiring,is people that you already know
目前招聘最好的資源就是你已經認識的人
and people that other employees in the company already know.
和公司里員工所認識的人
Most great companies, in tech have been built by personal referrals,
大部分偉大技術公司
for the first at least 100 employees and often many more.
最初的100名員工甚至更多,是通過推薦招募的
Um, most founders feel awkward calling everyone good that they ever met.
給他們認識的優秀人才打電話,大部分的創業者覺得有些尷尬,但是不得不這么做
And asking their employees to do the same.
他們還讓他們的員工也這樣做
But you'll notice that if you go work at Facebook or Google,
如果你在Facebook或谷歌工作
one of the things they do in your first few weeks, is an HR person sits you down,
你會發現在前幾周,人力資源人員會來找你
and like beats out of you every smart person you've ever met.
然后讓你努力回想每位你曾見過的聰明人
No matter how likely you think you are to be able to recruit them.
不管你認為他們被雇傭的機會有多大
Um, and these personal referrals really are the trick to hiring.
這些推薦方法的確是招聘的技巧
So you have to like go way beyond your comfort zone here.
因此招募員工時要打破傳統思維
Um, another tip is to look outside the valley.
另一個方法就是找硅谷之外的人
It is brutally competitive to hire engineers here.
在那兒工程師的爭奪很激烈
Um, but you probably know very good people living elsewhere in the world that would love to work with you.
你可以從其他地方找到人才,找到樂意與你一起工作的人才
Another question that founders ask us a lot about Is experience and how much that matters.
創業者經常問我們的另一個問題是經驗有多重要
Um, the short version here, is that it experience matters for some roles and not others.
長話短說,經驗對一些職位有用,對其他職位沒用
Um, when you're hiring sort of like you know,
當你雇傭
someone that is gonna run a large organization of your company, experience probably matters a lot.
可以獨當一面的人時,經驗就很重要了
Um, for most of the early hires you make in a start up, experience doesn't matter very much uh,
在創業的大部分早期招聘中,經驗不是很重要
and you should go for aptitude and believe in what you're doing.
你應該招有才能并相信你們會成大事的人
Most of the best hires that I ever made in my entire life have never done that thing before.
目前我所招到的最優秀的人都沒有什么經驗
Um, so it's really like is this a role where I care about experience or not.
所以關鍵是看職位是否需要經驗
Most of the time you don't in the, in the early days.
創業早期的職位大部分不需要經驗
Um, there are three things that I look for when I hire people.
在招人時我會注重三點
Um, are they smart?
他們是否聰明?
Do they get things done?
他們能完成任務嗎?
Do I want to spend a lot of time around them?
我愿意花許多時間和他們在一起嗎?
And if I get an answer, if get, ended up with a yes for all thee of these,
如果我得到的三個答案都是“是”
um I almost never regretted a hire.
我就不會后悔招了這個人
It's almost always worked out.
這個方法通常都奏效
You can learn a lot about all three of these things from an interview.
你可以從一次面試中得到這三個問題的答案
But the very best way is by working together.
但最好的方法,還是和他們一起工作
So ideally, it's someone you've worked with in the past.
所以理想狀態,就是招曾經共事過的人
And in which case, you probably don't even need an interview.
這種情況下連面試都不需要了
Um, if you haven't, then I think it's way better to work with someone on a quick project for a day or two before hiring them.
如果你沒有這樣的人選,我覺得較好的方法是在正式雇傭他們之前,讓他們在項目組里呆一兩天
Um, you'll both learn a lot, they will too.
這樣雙方都可以學到很多東西