What a stunning realization it must have been.
這項認定一定很讓人震驚
The Universe is a machine governed by principles, or laws,
宇宙有如機器 依循原理或法則而行
laws that can be understood by the human mind.
而且是人類心智能了解的法則
I believe the discovery of these laws has been humankind's greatest achievement,
我認為發現這些法則 是人類最偉大的成就
for it's these laws of nature, as we now call them,
因為就是這些我們現在所稱的自然法則
that will tell us whether we need a God to explain the Universe at all.
能告訴我們是否需要上帝 才能解釋宇宙
For centuries,it was believed that disabled people like me
數百年來 人們相信像我這樣的殘疾人士
were living under a curse inflicted by God.
是活在上帝所降的詛咒中的
While I suppose it's possible that I've upset someone up there,
我想我是有可能 惹惱了上面某人
I prefer to think that everything can be explained another way by the laws of nature.
但我更傾向認為 一切都可以用另一種方式解釋 也就是自然法則
So,what exactly is a law of nature,
到底什么是自然法則
and why is it so powerful?
它的威力又為何如此強大
I'll show you with a game of tennis.
我用網球賽來說明
Tennis is governed by two sets of laws.
網球受到兩套法則所規范
One set is man-made the rules of the game.
一套是人所制定的 比賽規則
They govern things such as the size of the court,the height of the net,
所規范的事包括球場尺寸 網子的高度
and what determines if a shot is in...or if a shot is out.
以及如何判定球是落在界內 還是界外