After a month she says to me,
總之,一個月后,她對我說,
Did this really happen?
那些事情真的發生了嗎?
And I said, Yes. And so she said, So, if I came out of the woods — this is her brother and sister—If I came out of the woods, Avalon and Donovan might be gone.Yes.
我說,是的。之后她說,那么,如果我當時出生了—這是她的哥哥姐姐—如果我出生了,Avalon 和 Donovan 可能就不在了? 是的。
But I'd get to see them in America.No.
但我到美國后會再見到他們吧?不會。
But what if I saw them? You know, couldn't we stay together?No.
但萬一我們能見面呢?我們不能呆在一起嗎? 不能。
So Daddy could be gone.Yes.
那么爸爸也可能不在了? 是的。
And she was fascinated by this, and she started to cry,
她被嚇呆了,之后她開始哭泣,
and I started to cry, and her father started to cry,
我也開始哭,她的父親也開始哭,
and now we're all crying. He didn't expect to come home from work to the Middle Passage,
然后我們一起哭。他沒想到下班回家會遇到中央航路這檔子事,
but there it goes.
但它就是發生了。
And so, we made this game, and she got it.
總之,我們一起玩了這樣一個游戲,最后她懂了其中的含義。
She got it because she spent time with these people.
她懂了,因為她與這些人共同經歷了那個過程。
It wasn't abstract stuff in a brochure or in a movie.
這不像書本或電影里的教化那樣是抽象的東西。
And so it was just an incredibly powerful experience.
這是一次令人驚嘆、充滿力量的體驗。
This is the game, which I've ended up calling.
這就是那個游戲,我后來給它起了個名字。
The New World, because I like the phrase.
叫做《新世界》,因為我喜歡這個叫法。
I don't think the New World felt too new worldly exciting to the people who were brought over on slave ships.
我不認為新世界會帶來什么世俗的興奮感,尤其對于那些曾經從奴隸船上下來的人們。
But when this happened, I saw the whole planet.
但當這一切發生時,我看到了整個世界。
I was so excited. It was like, I'd been making games for 20-some years, and then I decided to do it again.
我感覺太激動了。這就像是,我設計游戲已經超過二十年,而我決定再做一些類似的游戲。
My history is Irish.
我的故鄉是愛爾蘭。
So this is a game called Síochán Leat. It's peace be with you.
這個游戲叫做Síochán Leat。意思是《和平與你同在》。
It's the entire history of my family in a single game.
僅僅這一個游戲就包含了我的整個家族史。
I made another game called Train.
我設計了另一款游戲叫做《列車》。
I was making a series of six games that covered difficult topics, and if you're going to cover a difficult topic, this is one you need to cover,
我制作了一個系列的六款游戲都是關于沉重的主題,如果你要討論一個沉重的主題,就需要這樣的游戲來開展,
and I'll let you figure out what that's about on your own.
我會讓你自己通過游戲來發現關于這個主題的一切。
And I also made a game about the Trail of Tears.
我還創作了一款游戲叫做《淚痕》。
This is a game with 50,000 individual pieces.
這個游戲有著5萬個獨立的零件。
I was crazy when I decided to start it,
我當時肯定是瘋了才決定要設計它,
but I'm in the middle of it now.
不過我現在已經進行了近一半。
It's the same thing.
這和之前的游戲是類似的。
I'm hoping that I'll teach culture through these games.
我希望通過這些游戲來傳授文化。
And the one I'm working on right now, which is because I'm right in the middle of it, and these for some reason choke me up like crazy,is a game called Mexican Kitchen Workers.
而我現在正在著手設計的游戲是因為我正在全心投入,所以想到它很容易使我情緒波動,這個游戲叫做《墨西哥廚房工人》。