And in doing so, we were breeding them for parasitism.
為了做到這點,人類用喂養的方式來讓它們寄生于我們。
We were giving them all sorts of reasons to adapt new ways.
我們給了動物們適應新環境的各種理由。
So, for example, rats are incredibly responsive breeders.
比如:老鼠的生育能力變得超強。
And cockroaches, as anyone who's tried to get rid of them knows, have become really immune to the poisons that we're using.
而蟑螂,逮過蟑螂的人都知道,它們已經不在乎我們的“誘餌”了。
So I thought, let's build something that's mutually beneficial; something that we can both benefit from,
于是我想,為何不制造出一些能讓我們人類和這些“寄生蟲”共同受益的東西呢?
and find some way to make a new relationship with these species.
從而讓人類找到一條與其共處的新路子。
So I built the vending machine.
這就是我制作動物專用自動售貨機的理由。
But the story of the vending machine is a little more interesting if you know more about crows.
不過如果你多了解一下烏鴉,這個自動售貨機的故事會更有趣。
It turns out, crows aren't just surviving with human beings; they're actually thriving.
烏鴉們不僅僅是在人類環境中‘生存’得不錯--事實上,他們活得還很精彩。
They're found everywhere on the planet except for the Arctic and the southern tip of South America.
你在地球上任何一處角落--除了兩極和南美至南端--都可以見得到烏鴉。
And in all that area, they're only rarely found breeding more than five kilometers away from human beings.
通常它們的棲息地離人類居所不出5公里。

So we may not think about them, but they're always around.
雖然你也許不會想到這一點,可是它們確確實實一直都這么活在我們身邊。
And not surprisingly, given the human population growth, more than half of the human population is living in cities now.
這也不奇怪,我們的地球上人口暴漲,其中有半數以上居住在城市。
And out of those, nine-tenths of the human growth population is occurring in cities.
除此之外,90%的人口增長就都發生在城市里。
We're seeing a population boom with crows.
烏鴉這個種群也在經歷同樣的發展。
So bird counts are indicating that we might be seeing up to exponential growth in their numbers. So that's no great surprise.
所以鳥類的數量在我們看來將會有一個爆炸型的增長,這并沒有什么奇怪的。
But what was really interesting to me was to find out that the birds were adapting in a pretty unusual way.
但令我感到吃驚的是,這些鳥兒竟然學會了通過一些奇特的方式在我們的社會里求得生存。
And I'll give you an example of that. This is Betty. She's a New Caledonian crow.
大家看看下面的例子:它的名字是Betty,它是一只New Caledonia(北美地名)的烏鴉。
And these crows use sticks in the wild to get insects and whatnot out of pieces of wood.
在森林里,它們會用樹枝從林木里挑出蟲子和其他食物。
Here, she's trying to get a piece of meat out of a tube.
此時它正嘗試用鐵線取出瓶子里的那塊肉。
But the researchers had a problem. They messed up and left just a stick of wire in there.
但是研究者們遇到了一個問題。他們把試驗搞砸了,因為只留下了一根線在那里。
And she hadn't had the opportunity to do this before. You see, it wasn't working very well. So she adapted.
而Betty以前可沒嘗試過這樣的挑戰。你可以看到,它進行得并不順利。于是它想出了一個新法子。