The first contained the secret of learning.
頭一張寫的是如何學習這些羊皮卷上的功課,
The others contained all the secrets and principles necessary
其它幾張講的是關于
to become a great success in the art of selling.
推銷藝術的所有秘訣。
For the next year I was tutored each day on the wise words of the scrolls
他花了整整二年的功夫,
and with the secret of learning from the first scroll
把那些哲理一條一條地講給我聽。
I eventually memorized every word
我終于記下了每一卷里的每一個字,
on every scroll until they had become a part of my thinking and my life. They became habit.
直到它們與我溶為一體,成為我生活的一部分。
"At last I was presented with the chest containing all ten scrolls,
“后來,他把箱子給了我。除了十張羊皮卷以外,
a sealed letter, and a purse containing fifty gold pieces.
里面還有一封信,一個錢袋,裝著五十枚金幣。
The sealed letter was not to be opened until my adopted home was out of sight.
那封信必須在我離開他家以后才能拆開。
I bade the family farewell
于是我辭別了那一家人,
and waited until I had reached the trade route to Palmyra before opening the letter.
只身前往帕爾邁拉島經商。
The contents commanded me to take the gold pieces,
我看了那封信,信上說,我得利用那些錢,
apply what I had learned from the scrolls, and begin a new life.
結合羊皮卷上教的方法,去開創新的生活。
The letter further commanded me to always share half of whatever wealth I would acquire
信中命令我無論何時,
with others less fortunate,
都要把賺得的一半財富分給比我貧窮的人,
but the leather scrolls were neither to be given
但是箱中的羊皮卷不能給人,
nor shared with anyone
甚至不能讓人看到,
until the day when I would be given a special sign
直到我得到神的啟示,
that would tell me who was next chosen to receive these scrolls"
找到下一個人選為止。”
Hafid shook his head, "I do not understand, sire"
海菲搖搖頭,“我不明白,老爺。”
"I will explain.
“我會解釋給你聽。
I have remained on watch for this person with a sign for many years
許多年來,我一直在尋找那個人。
and while I watched I applied what I learned from the scrolls to amass a great fortune.
我一面等待他的出現,一面應用羊皮卷中的秘訣經商,積攢了不少財富。
I had almost come to believe that no such person would ever appear before my death
你從伯利恒回來以前,
until you returned from your trip to Bethlehem.
我還以為有生之年見不到這個人了。
My first thinking that you were the chosen one to receive the scrolls
我覺得你就是羊皮卷的下任繼承人
came upon me when you appeared under the bright star
一直到看見你站在那顆星星下面的時候,
that had followed you from Bethlehem.
我才意識到什么。
In my heart I have tried to comprehend the meaning of this event
我試圖去想清這種現象的喻意,
but I am resigned not to challenge the actions of the gods.
而我只能順從神的安排。
Then when you told me of giving up the robe,
后來,你告訴我說你放棄了
which meant so much to you,
那件對你來說意義重大的袍子時,
something within my heart spoke and told me that my long search was ended.
我才聽到內心深處有一個聲音說:我長期以來的尋求,可以結束了。