I suppose, Miss Temple, the thread I bought at Lowton will do.
坦普爾小姐,我想在洛頓買的線是管用的。
It struck me that it would be just of the quality for the calico chemises, and I sorted the needles to match.
質地正適合做白布襯衣用,我還挑選了同它相配的針。
You may tell Miss Smith that I forgot to make a memorandum of the darning needles, but she shall have some papers sent in next week.
請你告訴史密斯小姐,我忘掉了買織補針的事。不過下星期我會派人送些紙來。
And she is not, on any account, to give out more than one at a time to each pupil.
給每個學生的一次不得超過一張。
If they have more, they are apt to be careless and lose them.
給多了,她們容易粗枝大葉,把它們弄丟了。
And, O ma'am! I wish the woollen stockings were better looked to!
啊,小姐!但愿你們的羊毛襪子能照看得好些!
When I was here last, I went into the kitchen-garden and examined the clothes drying on the line.
上次我來這里的時候到菜園子里轉了一下,仔細瞧了瞧晾在繩子上的衣服。

There was a quantity of black hose in a very bad state of repair.
看見有不少黑色長襪都該補了。
From the size of the holes in them I was sure they had not been well mended from time to time.
從破洞的大小來看,肯定一次次都沒有好好修補。
He paused.
他頓了一下。
"Your directions shall be attended to, sir," said Miss Temple.
“你的指示一定執行,先生,”坦普爾小姐說。
"And, madam," he continued, "the laundress tells me some of the girls have two clean tuckers in the week."
“還有,小姐,”他繼續說下去,“洗衣女工告訴我,有些姑娘一周用兩塊清潔的領布。”
It is too much. The rules limit them to one.
這太多了,按規定,限制在一塊。
I think I can explain that circumstance, sir.
我想這件事我可以解釋一下,先生。
Agnes and Catherine Johnstone were invited to take tea with some friends at Lowton last Thursday, and I gave them leave to put on clean tuckers for the occasion.
上星期四,艾格妮絲和凱瑟琳.約翰斯通應朋友邀請,上洛頓去用茶點,我允許她們在這種場合戴上干凈的領布。
Mr. Brocklehurst nodded.
布羅克赫斯特先生點了點頭。
Well, for once it may pass, but please not to let the circumstance occur too often.
好吧,這一次就算了,但是請不要讓這種情況經常發生。
And there is another thing which surprised me.
還有另一件事也叫我吃驚。
I find, in settling accounts with the housekeeper, that a lunch, consisting of bread and cheese, has twice been served out to the girls during the past fortnight.
我跟管家結帳,發現上兩個星期,兩次給姑娘們供應了點心,吃了面包奶酪。
How is this? I looked over the regulations, and I find no such meal as lunch mentioned.
這是怎么回事?我查了一下規定,沒有發現里面提到過點心之類的飯食。
Who introduced this innovation? And by what authority?"
是誰搞的改革?又得到了誰的批準?”
"I must be responsible for the circumstance, sir," replied Miss Temple.
“我必須對這一情況負責,先生,”坦普爾小姐回答說。
The breakfast was so ill prepared that the pupils could not possibly eat it, and I dared not allow them to remain fasting till dinner-time.
早飯燒得很糟糕,學生們都咽不下去。我不敢讓她們一直餓看肚子到吃中飯。