So you have a choice in a startup.
開始創業時大家可能面臨一個問題
The best thing of all worlds would be to build a product that a lot of people will really love.
當然,每個人都想自己的產品能讓多數人鐘愛
In practice you can't usually do that because of big company.
但實際上,由于各種大公司的存在,這是很難實現的
If there's an opportunity like that, Google or Facebook will do it.
如果有這樣的機會,可能谷歌或者臉書這樣的大公司就先你一步了
So there's like a limit to the area under the curve of
所以大家看這里的曲線
what you can build and you can either build something that lot of users like a little bit
大家能夠開發的產品是受限制的要么是大量用戶知道,但忠誠度一般
or you can build something that a small number of users love a lot.
要么是受小部分用戶鐘愛
And, like, the total amount of love is the same,
用戶的 “愛”的總量是一定的
it's just a question of how it's distributed.
差別就在于是如何分布的
And there's like this law of conservation of
這說的就是
how much happiness you can put into the world with the first product of a startup.
通過第一款產品能夠創造的用戶喜愛度的守恒定律
And so startups always struggle with which of those two they should go
一般創業者都要面臨這樣的選擇
And they seem equal, right, cuz the area under the curve is the same.
兩條曲線看起來差不多,線下面積幾乎是相等的
But we've seen this time and again that they're not.
但我們說過了,它們實際并不相同
And that it's so much easier to expand.
有的更容易擴展市場
Once you've got something that some people love,
如果產品受到小部分顧客鐘愛
you can expand that something that a lot of other people love.
就可能發展為很多消費者都鐘愛的產品
But if you only get ambivalence or sort of like weak enthusiasm.
但如果只有雄心和不足的熱情
And then try to expand that, you'll never get up to a lot of people loving it.
從這個基礎上擴展市場,很難實現讓很多人鐘愛你的產品
So the advice is, uh, find a small group of users and make them really love what you're doing.
所以,大家要把目標群體定位在小部分消費者上,使自己的產品緊密貼合他們的興趣
Does that make sense?
現在大家懂了嗎?
All right.
好
I'm, I'm, one way that you know when this is working is that you'll get growth by word of mouth.
擴展市場的一種方法就是靠顧客口碑,口耳相傳
If you make something people love people will tell their friends about it.
如果你的產品得到了消費者的肯定,他們肯定會向自己的朋友介紹
This works for consumer products and enterprise products, as well.
不管是消費性產品還是企業產品,都是一樣的
When people really love something,
當人們真正喜歡一件事物的時候
they tell their friends about it and you'll see organic growth.
一定會推薦給自己的朋友,這樣你的市場就擴大了
If you find yourself talking about how it's okay that you're not growing because there's a big partnership
如果你因為自己的合伙人資金雄厚或者其他原因
that's gonna come save you or something like that,
而對產品的慢速增長置之不理
it's almost always a sign of real trouble.
是會非常危險的
Sales and marketing are really important, and we're gonna have two classes on them later.
市場營銷確實很重要,之后我們有兩次課要介紹這個
But if you don't have some early organic growth,
但如果市場無法擴大
then your product probably isn't good enough yet.
原因就在于產品不夠出色
A great product is the secret to long term growth hacking.
好產品始終是市場擴大的秘訣
You should get that right before you worry about anything else.
在解決其他問題之前,先把產品這一關把握好了
It doesn't get easier to put off making a great product.
如果開發優質產品延后,其他工作也會舉步維艱
If you try to build a growth machine before you have a product that some people really love,
如果你還沒有好產品,就已經在規劃擴展藍圖
you're almost certainly gonna waste your time.
就是在浪費時間
Breakout companies almost always have a product that's so good that it grows by word of mouth.
看各種迅速發展起來的公司,它們的產品一般都是靠消費者傳播口碑的
Over the long run great products win.
時間一長,產品的優勢就體現出來了
Don't worry about your competitors raising a lot of money and what they may do in the future.
所以就算你的競爭公司融資很多,或者對未來有什么規劃,你都不需擔憂
They probably aren't very good anyway.
可能他們的產品并不怎樣
Very few startups die from competition.
很少有新公司是因為競爭而倒閉的
Most die because they themselves fail to make something users love.
絕大多數公司是因為把時間用在了無用的地方
They spend their time on other things.
而生產不出讓消費者鐘愛的產品,才辦不下去了
So worry about this above all else.
所以大家最需要考慮的問題就是好產品