Hafid's joy immediately subsided as he asked,
憂慮重新又代替了喜悅,海菲不禁問道:
"Will you not teach me the principles and laws that will transform me into a great salesman?"
“您不教我那些原則規律,讓我變成偉大的推銷員嗎?”
"I will not no more than I have made your early youth soft
“不是,你小的時候,
and easy through pampering.
我從來沒寵過你,
I have been criticized often
大家都說我不該對你這么嚴,
for condemning my adopted son to the life of a camel boy
不該讓養子去干喂牲口的粗活,
but I believed that if the right fire was burning inside
可是我一直相信只要心中的那團火燒得恰到好處,
it would eventually emerge ...
遲早它會冒出火花,
and when it did you would be far more a man for your years of difficult toil.
那時你就會成為一個真正的男人,以前吃的苦都沒有白費。
Tonight, your request has made me happy
今天晚上,我很高興你能提出這樣的要求,
for the fire of ambition glows in your eyes
你的眼睛像點燃的火焰,
and your face shines with burning desire.
你的臉上充滿渴望,
This is good and my judgment is vindicated
看來我沒有看錯人。
but you must still prove
不過你還要加倍努力,
that there is more behind your words than air."
證明你想要的不是空中樓閣。”
Hafid was silent and the old man continued,
海菲沉默不語,聽著主人繼續說道,
"First, you must prove to me,
首先,你要向我證明,
and more important to yourself,
當然更重要的是向自己證實,
that you can endure the life of a salesman
你能忍受推銷的辛苦。
for it is not an easy lot you have chosen.
你抽的這個簽,遠非輕而易舉。
Truly, many times have you heard me say that the red wards are great if one succeeds
你常聽我說,只要成功,報償相當可觀,
but the rewards are great only because so few succeed.
我這么說,也是因為成功的人太少了,所以回報才大。
Many succumb to despair
許多人半途而廢,
and fail without realizing that they already possess
他們在絕望失意中,
all the tools needed to acquire great wealth.
并沒有意識到自己已經擁有達到成功的一切條件。
Many others face each obstacle in their path with fear
有些人面對困難,畏縮不前,
and doubt and consider them as enemies when, in truth,
如臨大敵,
these obstructions are friends and helpers.
殊不知,這些拌腳石正是他們的朋友,他們的助手。
Obstacles are necessary for success
困難是成功的前提,
because in selling, as in all careers of importance,
因為推銷和其它行業一樣,
victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats.
勝利是在多次失敗之后才姍姍而來。
Yet each struggle, each defeat,
每一次的失敗和奮斗,
sharpens your skills and strengths,
都能使你的技藝更精湛,思想更成熟,
your courage and your endurance,
磨練你的本領和耐力,
your ability and your confidence and thus
增加你的勇氣和信心。
each obstacle is a comrade in-arms
這樣,困難就成了你的伙伴,
forcing you to become better ...
發人自省,迫人向上。
or quit.
或者讓人自棄。