You, yourself, have said that wealth is good
您自己也說過,
when it brings joy to others.
能帶給人快樂的財富便是美好的。
Why then is my ambition to be wealthy not a good one?
那么,我要成為一個有錢人有什么不好?
Poverty may fee a privilege and even a way of life for the monk in the desert,
“只有沙漠里的和尚,才適合過苦日子。
for he has only himself to sustain and none but his god to please,
因為他們只需養活自己,除了神以外,不用討好別人。
but I consider poverty to be the mark of a lack of ability
可是我不同,對我來說,
or a lack of ambition.
貧窮只意昧著無能無志,
I am not deficient in either of these qualities!"
而我并非這樣不中用的人!
Pathros frowned,
柏薩羅皺起眉頭,
"What has caused this sudden outburst of ambition?
什么事情讓你突發奇想,躊躇滿志?
You speak of providing for a family yet you have no family lest it be I
你說要養家糊口,可是你并沒有家人呀?”
who have adopted you since the pestilence removed thy mother and father."
除了我這個在你父母病故后收養你的人。
Hafid's sun-darkened skin could not hide the sudden flush in his cheeks.
海菲那被太陽曬得黑黑的面龐,掩蓋不住突然泛起的紅暈。
"While we encamped in Hebron before journeying here
我們路過希伯倫的時候,
I met the daughter of Calneh.
我遇見了卡奈的女兒。
She... she..."
她……她……”
"Oh, ho, now the truth emergeth.
“喔,喔,現在說實話了,
Love, not noble ideals, has changed my camel boy into a mighty soldier
不是什么大道理,是愛情讓我們看管駱駝的男孩變成偉大的勇士,
ready to battle the world.
要向全世界挑戰了。
Calneh is a very wealthy man.
卡奈非常有錢,
His daughter and la camel boy?
他能讓自己的女兒和一個喂駱駝的窮小子在一起嗎?
Never! But his daughter and- a rich, young, and handsome merchant . . .
決不可能!如果是一個年輕有為、英俊瀟灑的商人,
ah, that is another matter.
嗯,那又另當別論了。
Very well, my young soldier,
好吧,小伙子,
I will help you begin your career as a salesman."
我可以助你一臂之力,讓你做一名推銷員,開創自己的事業。”
The lad fell to his knees and grasped Pathros' robe.
少年跪在地上,感激地抓住主人的長袍。
"Sire, sire!
“老爺,老爺,
How can I say the words to show my thanks?"
我不知該怎樣報答您才好?”
Pathros freed himself from Hafid's grip and stepped back.
柏薩羅掙脫了海菲的手,退后一步,
"I would suggest you withhold thy thanks for the present.
“先別謝我,
Whatever aid I give thee will be as a grain of sand
我能給你的幫助微如塵埃,
compared to the mountains you must move for yourself."
最重要的,還是要靠你自己持之以恒的努力。